I've always loved Five For Fighting's cds and was extremely happy when One2One Network sent me an invite to check out the NEW cd coming out on October 13th!
If every album provides snapshots of where an artist’s mind at heart is at the moment, Slice, the latest offering from Five for Fighting, is an album of stories of friends, family and even American servicemen, and sets them to music shot through with the spirit of the great songs of our youth. It’s a diary,in which John Ondrasik (cowriting with Academy Award-winning composer Steven Schwartz) speaks his mind about current issues, experiences and sentiments, while setting those thoughts to incredible piano, bass and drum rhythms.
The title track comes from a daydream that we’ve all had at some point in our lives—that moment when we long for a simpler time, when life seemed better and the songs were bigger. It’s a sly play on one of those grand songs, Don McClean’s “American Pie” (my ALL TIME favorite song-I even sang it to my daughter as a lullably at 6 weeks old- she loved it then and still does, I knew she had my incredible taste LOL) “There was a time a long, long time ago/Chevies and levies played on the radio/No cell phones just 20,000 lights, swaying on a Saturday night.”
The release of Slice is being led with first single “Chances,” a sweeping, grand pop song with a simple message: “Until you crash what have you done/Is there a better bet than love.” Says Ondrasik, “It’s all about taking the swing—there’s beauty in the scars.” Isn't that what we all want to teach our kids? Take the chance, it's worth it!
"Note to the Unknown Solider" will bring back memories of 9/11/2001 and how Ondrasik's penned Superman became our theme song. It brought me to tears, as a child of a career military man.
The events of 9/11 are at the core of the Slice song “Tuesday,” on which Ondrasik sings: “The thing about memories/They’re sure and bound to fade/Except for the stolen souls/Left upon her blade”. Ondrasik explains: “That song isn’t ‘Superman Part 2,’ there’s none of that in there. It’s much more of a plea for us to not forget the lessons we learned that day.” Keep the tissue box handy-you'll need it for the first listen of this song!
This is one of those albums you keep forever- it's the perfect Fall cd- full of nostalgia, love and life. Give it a listen and "you'll open up your mind" and cherish everything and everyone you hold dear! It's gonna be another Fuve For Fighting album that's gonna on my list of gifts to give at Christmas!
I think Ondrasik is the epitome of a renaissance man and that makes this cd even more unique-
- In Feb 2007 John launched a charity driven website – whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com that raises money for various charities when users view video clips provided by visitors to the site. Current views are over 3 million with approx. $300,000 donated!
- John is a dedicated supporter of US Troops, performing for US Forces at Guantanamo Bay, Hawaii, Guam & Japan on USO tours
- John created & produced “For the Troops”, a CD compilation of superstar recordings that is available for free to every active service person in US Armed Forces
- Along with numerous television licenses, John’s composed songs for “August Rush”, “The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants”, “We Were Soldiers”, “Chicken Little” & “Everyone’s Hero"
- John loves sports and writing (and not just great songs)! He penned a regular hockey column for SportsIllustrated.com from 2005-2007, and freelances for various publications.
WHEW= Makes ME tired!
Tracks-listen HERE on Amazon to song previews:
2. Note To The Unknown Soldier- MOVING
3. Tuesday- GET THE TISSUES BACK OUT
5. This Dance--WOW
6. Above The Timberline
9. Story Of Your Life- LOVE THIS SONG!
10. Love Can’t Change The Weather
11. Augie Nieto
John will be hitting the road in October with An Acoustic Evening with Five For Fighting. I cant WAIT til he gets to my area! The songs are great on record, even better live! Definitely a show worth seeing! To find out about how to get tickets in a market near you, go to his site.
18-Oct Toronto, ON El Mocambo
20-Oct New York, NY City Winery sold out
22-Oct Bay Shore, NY (Long Island) YMCA Boulton Center sold out
23-Oct Uncasville, CT The Wolf Den
24-Oct Washington, DC Jammin Java SOLD OUT
26-Oct Boston, MA The Paradise
27-Oct Philadelphia, PA World Café Live (downstairs) sold out
29-Oct Nashville, TN The Belcourt
30-Oct Chicago, IL Lakeshore SOLD OUT
3-Nov Salt Lake City, UT The State Room
5-Nov Seattle, WA Crocodile
6-Nov Portland, OR Aladdin Theater
10-Nov San Francisco, CA Swedish American Hall
11-Nov Los Angeles, CA Largo at the Coronet SOLD OUT
WOW- get those tickets quick- concerts are selling out QUICK!
Disclosure: One2One Network sent me this CD, as a digital download, at no cost to me, for review purposes.I was NOT compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product!