Better World Books collects and sells books online, to donate books and fund literacy initiatives worldwide. With more than 8 million new and used titles in stock, it’s a self-sustaining, triple-bottom-line company that creates social, economic and environmental value. To date, the company has raised over $11 million for libraries and literacy, and diverted millions of books from landfills.
What’s the best time for to learn the love of reading? Better World Books agrees with me -- the sooner the better. Course that's why Kiddo has outgrown not 1, but 2 bookshelves in her room already! Yup, it's time to cul out some books and send them to Better World Books! And that’s why I wanted to spread the word about Children’s Book Week, the national celebration of reading for youth that kicks off May 7th.
The observance (administered by Every Child A Reader and sponsored by the Children’s Book Council) honors the life-changing potential of a book, especially during a young person’s formative years.
Here are a few ways to celebrate for Children’s Book Week (and all year long!):
- Buy a book from BetterWorldBooks.com. With every book purchased, they donate a book to someone who needs it. The vast majority of donations goes to Books for Africa and Feed the Children.
- Pick out one of your (or one of your parents’) favorite books from childhood and introduce it to your kid at bedtime.
- Spend some time at your local library. Even a few minutes here and there in our busy schedule will help instill a lifelong love of books.
- Pen your own children’s book to read to your kids. Have them also write their own to read to you, too!
- Pick out 5 books, either from your own collection or from a book store, to donate to literacy campaigns throughout the world (Better World Books is a great example of one such outlet.)
And, Better World Books is reducing the price on a huge selection of used children’s books. Shop their Children’s Book Week sale selection and get 3 used books for $9, and any additional used books for $3 each. Children’s Book Week kicks off on May 7th, and ends on the 13th.
So get reading!!