Disclosure / Disclaimer: I participated in the Mary J Blige The London Sessions album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided a free album to review but all opinions are my own. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it
The holiday season is full of holiday themed albums, and I reviewed Mary's Holiday Album, A Mary Christmas, last year.
This year, she decided to release a new album this month, just in time for holiday purchases!
Mary J. Blige has once again confounded expectations and ventured into new musical territory, by crossing the Atlantic to collaborate with some of this decade’s most celebrated UK musical talent – including Disclosure, Eg White, Emile Sandé, Jimmy Napes, Naughty Boy, SAM ROMANS and Sam Smith. You may not have heard of some of them, but they are HUGE on the other side of the pond! – and recorded a new studio album, The London Sessions. This extraordinary new collection is coming out December 2!
“It’s all about the London Music scene and I’m so excited to have been part of it, to record my album,” says Blige. “The songs are fun, therapeutic and soulful. This is a beautiful change for me and I’m proud of what we have done here.” ”The London Sessions is, number one, the bravest thing, and number two, just so honest,” says Smith, who co-wrote lead single,“Therapy,” with Blige and Eg White (Adele, Florence + The Machines, James Blunt). Disclosure adds, “It’s the reason that people like Mary are so successful – they’re just not afraid to change what they do completely.”
Check out the CD trailer:
Check out the CD trailer:
This album once again shows Mary's strengths and how she is such a far greater singer than she is given credit for! Once again she goes off on a new venture by taking a risk and creating something new, yet very familiar. This cd reminds me of when Blondie came out onto the pop scene- her songs were dresh, familiar, yet so different NEW. To me, this cd has that same glee of finding something before anyone else has heard it, and getting ahead of the curve. Because when your friends listen to this CD, they are gonna HAVE to have it! It's like old school R&B mixed with 70's soul, the modern London sound, which is really a throwback to late 80s/early 90s pop, with throwbacks to the 80s funk movement and yet is honest, you'll feel like you're getting to know the real Mary!
Each of the collaborators worked with Blige to create a new body of work driven by her one-of-a-kind voice. The results are altogether thrilling.
1. Therapy-this song is an homage to Amy Winehouse, and am amazing song
2. Doubt- classic R&B mixed with the story of Mary's career, one of my favorites
3. Not Loving You- another favorite- you'll hear shades of Adele's London sound, and be singing along with this one
4. When You're Gone- a soul funk mix about needing someone
5. Right Now- love this song- old school R&B mixed with London pop for an amazing sound- my favorite song from the CD
6. My Loving- 80s R&B/ Soul with London dance house beat
7.Long Hard Look-
8. Whole Damn Year- old school 70's style soul meets the London sound
9 .Nobody But You- CLASSIC London sound meet Mary's voice- another winner!
10. Pick Me Up- perhaps the most mixed sounding track- you'll be amazed at how the sounds came together on this one
11. Follow- with Disclosure- an island beat, meets NY sound, meets dance, for a song you won't be able to get out of your head
12. Worth My Time- shades of Tina Turner, this orchestra number will have you amazed once again at the sound that is ALL Mary!
What I found the most interesting, was that the songs were all recorded in ONE month! That is a LOT of creativity in such a short time! This is the freshest album from Mary in her whole 22 year career, and I can't recommend it enough!
Now check out the video for one of my favorite songs from the CD:
You can pre-order/order the CD on iTunes and Amazon:
* iTunes : http://bit.ly/MJBLondon
* Amazon: http://bit.ly/MJBLS
About Mary J Blige:
With a track record of eight multi-platinum albums, nine Grammy Awards (plus a staggering 31 nominations), a 2012 Golden Globe nomination, and four American Music Awards, Mary J Blige is a global superstar. And in ensuing years, the singer/songwriter has attracted an intensely loyal fan base – responsible for propelling worldwide sales of more than 50 million albums. Check out her website:, Twitter , Facebook and YouTube for more!