Thomas Jefferson once said that coffee was “…the favorite beverage of the civilized world”
With Pure Coffee Extract from Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, the flavor you love can be incorporated into a variety of breakfast dishes, perfect for light Summer fare, for at home, or on the go (like the beach!). Plus you can add it to your favorite popsicle recipe and enjoy the coffee flavor you love, without all that heat or caffeine!
Check out these recipes, that will make you a believer!
And now for my fav recipe for taking your 'coffee' on the go this Summer, even the kids will like these!
Chocolate Coffee Biscotti:
Pure Coffee Extract enhances the richness of chocolate, adding a deeper flavor to the Chocolate Coffee Biscotti, recipe below. The crunchy cookies are delicious on their own, munching on at the beach, by the pool, or in the car, or even paired with a hot cup of coffee.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey
Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Coffee Extract
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar (divided)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large light-colored heavy rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add butter and sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. 4. Add eggs, vanilla and coffee extracts, and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture and beat until combined. Add chocolate and beat until combined.
5. Dough will be slightly sticky. Divide dough in half. Using a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 2 (12 inches) logs. Transfer logs to prepared sheet pan and press and form each log so the width of each is about 2 1/2 inches across and the height is about 3/4 inch. Sprinkle each log with 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla sugar and gently press into dough.
6. Bake until done, about 25-30 minutes; remove from oven and carefully transfer parchment paper with biscotti to a wire rack and slightly cool. Reduce oven to 325 degrees F.
7. Using a serrated knife, cut logs crosswise, on the diagonal, into 1/2 inch slices. Place on parchment lined sheet pan, cut side down. Bake until crisp, about 16-20 minutes, turning biscotti over halfway through baking time. Cool on wire rack and store biscotti in an airtight container.
Yields 2.5 Dozen
Note: You can use Pure Vanilla Bean Paste in place of Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste to achieve a different, but still delicious, flavor profile. Simply use the same amount of the Pure Vanilla Bean Paste.