Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this info, free of charge,from GAEA Fresh Extra Virgin Oil Oil, for posting purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it, all opinions are my own.
In honor of the NEW ORLEANS GREEK FESTIVAL this weekend, how about a couple of recipes that include olive oil, that are perfect for including in a light Mediterranean Diet (it's National Mediterannean Diet Month too!) or just for lighter Summer eating!
Both of these recipes are made with GAEA FRESH Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the freshest premium extra virgin olive oil available! It is made from hand-picked olives, which are pressed and bottled within hours of being picked!
Basil Shrimp Summer Salad
1. Make basil marinade by whisking together:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Greek extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
and 1/8 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
2. Marinate 12 medium-size, or 9 large-size, shrimp (3 ounces) in a basil marinade, for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Grill shrimp until cooked through.
4. Top 2 cups of romaine lettuce with the shrimp, and mix well into greens, for added flavor.
Olive Oil Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together:
3 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
12 oz Greek extra-virgin olive oil
10 oz milk
2 oz orange liqueur
2 oz fresh orange juice
and 3 teaspoons lemon zest.
3. Sift together:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
and 1 teaspoon salt.
4. Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Whisk until well blended.
5. Fold in 4 ounces blanched and finely chopped almonds.
6. Pour the mixture into the buttered cake pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour.
8. Place on a rack to cool.
9. When cool, run a knife around the edges and place it on a plate.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.