Butterfly Summer

Darling daughter recently 'grew' butterflies from caterpillars with grandma (her first science lesson!) , and they are a new fixation for her (grandma has to "order some new ones on the computer, so she can have more butterflies"- scary what a 2 yr old can pick up huh?), so I thought we'd give go visit the Audubon Insectarium and see the butterfly room, and if any of the other bugs interested her. It's not a bad set up, just not intriguing to a 2 yr old (it really is aimed at more 7-10 yr olds) .

The butterfly room WAS the hit for her. It is a very tranquil setup with an oriental pond with some of the largest Koi I've ever seen! Warning though, if you go during summer you will relish the AC of the rest of the place (like walking into an igloo from the muggy heat around here), UNTIL you get to the butterfly room- it's like a sauna, as they have to keep it optimum for the little critters!

The room is filled with natural light form the huge original customs house windows, which is great on one hand, bad on the other. the butterflies gorge on the flowers, then go up to the windows, apparently inbutterfly garden 1 a hope to escape! So a lot of your gorgeous butterflies are too high up to see well!

Darling daughter had one butterfly that kept following her (I think it was attracted to the embroidered butterflies on her jubutterfly garden 2mper!), but she was kept from having it land on her by the employees, who kept telling everyone to NOT touch the butterflies, and not to let them land on you. Ok color me confused here, I thought the whole IDEA was that you could come sit (why they provide benches?) and the butterflies would land on you and that was ok.....SIGH.....try telling a 2 yr old she can't play 'chase' with the butterfly that keeps following HER....double SIGH....

Anyho, the smartee pants that run Audubon have you empty out of the butterfly room into the gift shop. Talk about a merchandiser's dream-a captive audience! As usual, alot of stuff was fairly reasonable, but alot of too high priced (like glass enclosed butterflies (dead of course)- you couldn't get just one, you had to get 4/5 for $125. Not bad, but when you just have room for one small case, it's alot!).

I found darling daughter a cute butterfly polymer necklace but I know it won't last long- shes 2! So I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement (that I know I will be needing) and whala:
I just found the most AMAZING butterfly jewelry and had to share;butterfly pendant 1

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26512037



Is this not the coolest thing? Sara had the neatest decoupaged scrabble tiles that I have ever seen as well.butterfly pendant 2http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25802166


I am mentally calculating how many gift items I will need already for birthdays and Christmas!

in closing I bring you another pix from Insectarium , a BLUE crawfish. yeah I know he's NOT a bug, but he was in the LA oddities section, so I guess that's ok, besides, he's cute!
blue crawfish


Comments