Oh No- i'm in the blog-o-sphere

Okay, I admit I caved.............

I avoided MySpace. Then Facebook. Then Twitter...

And then one of my best friends sends me a link to Laurie Notaro's essay contest http://www.laurienotaro.com/contest.html and I start thinking (ok, lately that's a bad sign)......well, yeah I can submit 450 words.....

Then I start thinking, maybe I should just blog (oh oh) as per my friends I always keep them amused with my stories and rants.....next thing you know I'm bored and it's 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm setting up a blog site. So there you go- thinking, lack of caffeine, and unable to go to sleep= a new blog site!

So Bless Your Hearts- you're STILL reading my blog- YIPPEE....
okay, so I admit I sent out emails to all my friends and family (hello, who else would you notify that you are now ranting/commenting/talking to the computer at 4am?) and alot of you (ok, probably 98% of you (yes, I'm being hopeful) are in that bunch of email alertees, but hey- you're reading- I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

I get to blame my friend (gee, same one that sent me laurie's essay contest link- pattern here, no?) for the title of this page as well. She sent me a humorous email about Southern women that I have kept, as it rang so true for our circle and have quoted from it often.

Any idea how HARD it is to think of a title for a blog? Seriously, the world wide web will know you FROM this title. You will be associated with it forever more- it's more daunting than deciding do you take you husband's last name when you get married or not (ok, full disclosure- I didn't-but that's another blog/rant for another day). Anyho- what do you pick? There are SO many great mom blogs out there and not all my friends have kids, and besides kid stuff is NOT the only stuff I think/talk about, so it needed to be all-encompassing....WOW... this is hard. Then I thought 'kittens in the oven' and found my title! No I am NOT an animal killer- it's part of the email she sent me, to wit:

"Someone once noted that a Southerner can get away with the most awful kind of insult just as long as it's prefaced with the words, "Bless her heart" or "Bless his heart." As in, "Bless his heart, if they put his brain on the head of a pin, it'd roll around like a BB on a 6-lane highway."
I was thinking about this the other day when a friend was telling about her new transplanted northern friend who was upset because her toddler is just beginning to talk and he has a southern accent. My friend, who is very kind and, bless her heart, cannot do a thing about those
thighs of hers, was justifiably miffed about this. Just because your children were born in the South does not make them Southerners. After all, if a cat had kittens in the oven, that wouldn't make them biscuits."

See, made sense, right? Look at all the things in that paragraph- southern slang, southern sayings, southern tradition, momspeak, highways, lack of common sense or brain matter, ammo, humor, truth (oh come on admit it!), toddlerhood, northern vs southern, diets and thighs, kitchen appliances, and the aforementioned kittens. Ya gotta love an author (who I have yet to determine, to give proper merit to the quote-sometimes the internet is JUST to vast of a world!) who can put all that in a couple of sentences. Which is why we all quote from it so often!

So now we have a title, and hey, in explaining it, I have my first blog post-cool beans or what?

Send suggestions or comments my way- I'll answer them at 3am more than likely, but hey- I will answer them!

Comments

  1. You so Rock! And that is SOUTHERN ROCK Dahlin'!

    So, did you submit any essays to Laurie? And don't blame me, you turned me on to her books! We could put our heads together (and look like a two headed short giant)and come up with a bunch to submit and then she'd have to writ another book - oh, wait! Snap! (isn't that a weird saying, Snap!?) - why don't WE write a book! I can feel the $$ and fame coming in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're dead on with "Bless their hearts"! ROFL!

    As a southerner myself, I've found that we can get by with a lot too if we preface it with "Well, I could be wrong but..."

    (Stopping from MomDot Write 4 You Challenge)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment