Crafting Time: Halloween Basket for Trick of Treating

BTHM WTFY 2012 button

I know, there are trick or treats pumpkins aplenty out there, and Kiddo has a couple of personalized pumpkin bags, but this year she is going out as a Pirate Fairy and she needed something with a little more pizazz and sparkletude, aka it needed to MATCH her outfit (yes, my Drama Queen)! 

Yes, she be a mite bit spoiled...

So where else do you head to for ideas?


Yup off to Pinterest I went, and found this adorable basket from Riley Blake Designs:



AHA, an idea was formed!

Now we have NO fabric stores in town anymore, 
and WallyWorld only caries a bare minimum of
fabric, so I knew this was gonna be interesting....

Lucky me I actually found an adorable pirate girls t-shirt on clearance for $2.50, 
in the right colors, and 2 fat quarters of black and hot pink fabric! Yeah team.
No pelon interfacing though, bad team! 
But I had felt at home and we are the masters of improv!
    
halloween fabric basket 2

Hence, I had to go off her pattern some, but keeping with the same idea,
I decided to go for sturdiness over a blue-ribbon basket.


halloween fabric basket 3

So I cut all the pieces off a pattern
I got from Dabbled.
Then sewed the felt to outside pieces.
 I then added the inside pieces and sewed the sides together. 
Then sewed the bottom pieces all together, and then sewed it to the sides. 
For ease, I sewed 2 opposite sides to the bottom first, 
then repinned the bottom, then made the strap.
I purposely made the strap a little thick on it's edges, to make for easier carrying,
especially when it gets full!
and this is what I ended up with:

halloween fabric basket 4

I then made a binding strip from the hot pink fabric and
sewed it on, all the way around the top, mitering my edges, 
to finish off the basket.

Then added the handle.
I was glad to see by making it thicker, it stood up very well!



It looked good, it stood upright, the handle stayed straight, but...
it needed a little more sparkletude....

So I made up a quick bow, with some matching ribbons,
an old Halloween pony tail holder, and a pirate applique!


Was she happy?

VERY happy! 

Ans she loves that she can wear the bow after Halloween,
as it is just clipped onto the handle!

Now if I can just get her to say
"Trick or Treasure"
when she goes trick n treating!  




Be sure to check in at Skip to My Lou for other
Made by You Monday crafts!
skip to my lou made by you logo

Comments