Pininterest Fail or No Fail: Suncatchers Made from Pony Beads

pinterest fail or no fail button


Welcome to a new Pinterest Fail or No Fail!

We haven't had very many of these lately, because Summer has been just toooo hectic, but I wanted to share this one, as it's a great easy peasy project for the "I'm Boreds" and for a quick Teacher Gift for kids just starting school!

The original pin from 
Crafuts.com, who pulled it from The Artful Parent:

the artful parent suncatchers

Ingredients needed:
- string or ribbon
-pony beads- glitter ones catch more light if you have them
- metal circles or nuts (if you don't have, you can drill holes in them later)
-cupcake tin- metal
-oven

Not hard, right?

No glitter beads for us, but we did have some crystal hearts, so we put those into the maybe pile
pony beads for suncatchers

Not wanting to use our nonstick muffin tins, I ran over to the Dollar store and bought a cheap metal muffin tin- which I was later glad I did!

Miss Grace filled the tins with beads- she abandoned any 'plan' and just put them in any which ways.
I then went back and added the bolt, as I wanted to make this SIMPLE, and not have to use a drill.

FYI- on the original post she also used CAKE pans, to make larger round disks- something we will try on our next attempt!

The pan then went into the oven at 425 degrees for about 18 minutes- your oven might take longer. And yes, there IS a melting plastic smell, put a few sprays with the Lysol can and it was gone.

This is what ours looked like when they came out of the oven:

suncatchers in pan

Getting them out was a bit more of a chore-I think owing to the cheap pans- I had to hit them hard on the back of the cups and against the table and then whamm out they came.

As you can see a slight melted residue WAS left on the pan cups:

suncatcher rsidue in pan

Hence, this pan is now strictly CRAFTS only.
Something to consider when you make these.

After a bit more cooling here is what they looked like:

finished suncatcher in window

Miss Grace is thrilled and giving them all away and can't wait to make the next batch!

Although I wish we had used a smaller metal ring (I thought I had some and then when I went to get them realized I only had ONE), they came out pretty great and Miss Grace was amazed at how they looked, so this one is a definite NO FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So head over to your craft area, grab those pony beads and a pan and get to melting!

Comments