This new video released yesterday!
This entertaining collection is comprised of eight delightful animated Peanuts television specials from 1988, that have been re-mastered for superior picture and sound quality. Each of the animated specials centers on various important events in the course of American history, as seen through the eyes of the Peanuts gang.
From the voyage of the Mayflower to the bold exploration of outer space, join the Peanuts gang as they take viewers on a journey through American history! Groove along with Charlie Brown and Snoopy as they discover the beginnings of jazz and ragtime music, cleverly accompanied by Lucy’s speech about American heroes. Soar with the Wright brothers, blast into orbit on the NASA space station, and create some of the world’s most influential inventions alongside such greats as Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford! So all aboard the transcontinental railroad with Peanuts because This is America, Charlie Brown!
* The Mayflower Voyagers – The Peanuts become pilgrims sailing to the New World aboard the Mayflower and endure the first hard winter on Plymouth Plantation.
* The Birth of the Constitution – Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the rest of the gang is present when the country’s founding fathers discuss putting together the constitution.
* The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk – Linus and Charlie Brown witness the Wright brothers’ first flight.
* The NASA Space Station – Linus dreams that he and the rest of the Peanuts gang travel into space.
* The Building of the Transcontinental Railroad – Charlie Brown discusses how the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads link to create the transcontinental railroad.
* The Great Inventors – Each member of the Peanuts gang reports on various American inventions. Linus discusses Alexander Graham Bell while Peppermint Patty and Marcie talk about Thomas Edison, and Charlie Brown writes a report on the invention of the automobile.
* The Smithsonian and the Presidency – Viewers experience meeting U.S. presidents as seen through the eyes of the Peanuts gang. Charlie Brown visits with Abraham Lincoln. The gang also meets Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
* The Music and Heroes of America – Snoopy wants to participate in Schroeder’s report on music in America. Everyone in the gang plays a different musical instrument while we hear such classics as “Alexander’s Ragtime Band” and “Yankee Doodle.” This special plays homage to such celebrated composers as John Phillip Sousa, Irving Berlin, George Cohan, Scott Joplin and others. Also featured is Lucy’s report on the heroes of America, which include Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Helen Keller, Martin Luther King Jr. Jonas Salk and others.
I was getting out of college when this series came out, nonetheless, I watched a few of them with a friend's children, so I was interested to see what Miss Grace would think about them, as they haven't really discussed American History yet. We did have a discussion after the Mayflower episode, as I am a proponent of telling more than the simple version, presented here, and Miss Grace is aware of what is frequently left out, due to our Native American background. A fan of a certain movie series involving Nicolas Cage, she was glued to the Constitution series, looking for 'clues' from the other film! We've also been having a lot of space discussions since school got out, so the NASA episode was another highlight for her! But her favorite was the inventors, as she in mad scientist mode this week and off to build a time machine for the cat (don't ask), so it struck a huge chord with her!
This is an enjoyable series and one that we highly recommend- it's great for adding to home school curriculum, as both a preview and a followup, to test for what has been learned, in a entertaining way! But for any American family, it's great to have a fun way to get your kids interested in the history of this great country, before our Independence Day comes around!
About Peanuts Worldwide
The PEANUTS characters and related intellectual property are owned by Peanuts Worldwide LLC, a joint venture owned 80% by Iconix Brand Group, Inc. and 20% by members of the Charles M. Schulz family.
About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution, interactive entertainment, technical operations and anti-piracy businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com.