Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this book, free of charge, from Parragon Books, via their Book Buddies Program, , for review purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it
And now for a 'healthy eating' book that might surprise you!
Superfoods are nutrient-dense foods that can boost your energy and vitality, power up your health and immune system, enhance your mood and brain power, and help protect you against diseases. If you want a lighter, more energized body, this is the book for you! Discover fascinating facts and recipes to improve your health today!!
This book introduces you to what a super food is and shared 20 of them with you. We know about greens and nuts, but did you know that RED fruit and veggies are super foods? Yup- they are high in antioxidants and Vitamin C! The recipes included cover Breakfast (Strawberry Breakfast Dip!), Lunches and Snacks (
Shrimp Filled Baked Sweet Potatoes), Main Dishes (Tangy Turkey Metballs with Edame), Desserts and Baking (Warm Walnut and Orange Cake). The recipes are all very easy and have ingredients most people have in their pantries! if you are looking for fresh ways with the holiday leftovers, or at eating healthier in the new year, this is the book for you!
And now how about a healthy recipe that's decadent AND good for you,
and that is perfect for last minute holiday gift giving ,or to have for energy bursts,
and has a secret ingredient!
Chocolate, Fruit and Nut Bark
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (rich in Vitamin E and/E and protein, plus minerals like magnesium, selenium and zinc- aka a super food!)
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60-70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
1. Line a 9x11 inch bakingpan with parchment paper.
2. Mix cherries and nuts in small bowl.
3. Put chocolate in heatproof bowl, set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water (aka a double boiler), and heat chocolate til melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the rice cereal.
4. Pour the chocolate rice mix into the prepared pan and smooth into a thin layer, using a spatula. Immediately sprinkle the cherry/hazelnut mix , then press it into the chocolate with palm of your hand.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 1 hour, til set.
6. To serve/bag for giving, break into 16, or so, pieces, and serve at room temp.