Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this giveaway, free of charge, from SK Find Out, for blog giveaway purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it
We are beyond excited to share with you a new KIDS search site, that arrived last month, that is not only aimed at them, but has age APPROPRIATE material (if you've ever helped your child with homework online and watched what happens when they search on regular search engines for their topics of study, you KNOW what can come up by mistake!)!
And it comes from one of our favorite resource publishers, DK!
DK FindOut is the no-cost online encyclopedia for kids, created by DK publishing. DK has been at the forefront of inventive illustrated print publishing for over 40 years, providing best-selling and award-winning books for all ages and interests.
Aimed at ages 7-11 (but appealing to ages 5-14), the new educational website covers science, math, English, history, geography, the human body, and more with age-appropriate content. Enlist it for homework help, pull it up for rainy day fun, or use it to bridge the gap in the summer months. It's safe, secure and extensive—more than 300 animations, 300 sounds, 9000 photos, 100 videos, and 3000 articles bring key concepts to life.
And best of all… there's no charge to use it!
Key features of DKfindout! include:
- Key subject areas in US curriculum are covered
- Content is easily accessible on all devices, including desktop, tablet and mobile
- The website caters for every type of learner, from those who prefer to read information to visual learners
- Accurate and up-to-date facts authenticated by experts
- Content will be constantly updated throughout 2015 and beyond, in line with changes to teaching practice
- Includes animations, sounds, videos and thousands of photographs
- Hundreds of quiz questions supporting every topic
- Teacher area in development throughout 2015 - includes a bespoke tool for teachers to create lesson plans
- Parent information and support
- Powerful search engine allows users to find exactly what they are looking for quickly, easily and visually
Miss Grace is working on a birthday present- science project and wanted to pull up some more info on our galaxy and planets. As you can see above, the illustrations are striking, but also very informative, showing the orbits and space away from each other. She was really interested in the breakdown of the sun:
As you can see, it fills the whole screen on your mobile device! She was thrilled to have the workings of the sun explained to her, better than I ever did!
I was really impressed with the site, and recommended it to Miss Grace's teacher as a way to bring in more current curriculum materials, that really grab the kids' attention and keep it!
they use in class, and were extremely positive about having a visual aid to use when teaching and a comprehensive planning resource for future lessons.
The website is currently in BETA phase, during which early users’ get to use it and offer feedback. The site is still under improvement, with new content and functionality, added throughout 2015.So you might need to be patient!
One lucky BTHM reader will get to win a great DK Find out book tote bag, perfect for all their Spring reading!