Since Easter is almost upon us (EEEEK!!!),
and we've been talking about NOLA this week,
and lemons today,
it only makes sense to share this YUMMY recipe from our friends at Nielsen-Massey!
(Have you entered our Nielsen-Massey GIVEAWAY yet??)
|Courtesy of Nielsen-Massey|
Vanilla Beignet Bites
(Yield 6 dozen)
1/4 cup warm water
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1. In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar; set aside to activate yeast. In a medium bowl, add butter, half-and-half and vanilla extract; stir and set aside. In a small bowl whisk eggs; set aside.
2. In a bowl of a free standing electric mixer, add flour, sugar, salt and cardamom. Place bowl on mixer stand which has been fitted with a dough hook. Turn mixer on low speed and combine dry ingredients.
3. Turn mixer to medium speed then add activated yeast mixture. Add half-and-half mixture, then add the whisked eggs. Mix until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl when necessary. Dough will be slightly sticky.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead, about 2-3 minutes; adding additional flour only when needed.
5. Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and keep warm until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours. After dough has risen, place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead. Roll dough into a rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. With a pizza cutter, cut dough into small rectangles, about 1x1/2 inch pieces.
6. Heat oil to 375 degrees F; carefully place dough in hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 45-60 seconds. Turn beignets so both sides are golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels; dust with Vanilla Powdered Sugar (recipe below) while bites are still warm.
7. Serve, and dip Vanilla Beignet Bites in Nielsen-Massey’s signature Vanilla-Lemon Raspberry Jam.
Vanilla Powdered Sugar
(Yield 1/2 cup sugar)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and vanilla powder.
Vanilla-Lemon Raspberry Jam
(Yield 1 cup jam)
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
In a small bowl, add jam, vanilla and lemon extracts. Whisk until jam is smooth and serve with warm Vanilla Beignet Bites. Vanilla-Lemon Raspberry Jam can be refrigerated and also served with whole grain toast, English muffins or scones.