RIP Marni Nixon...


Sigh,,,,

Another childhood legend has passed....

Marni Nixon was one of the voices of my childhood, from watching movies with my aunts or mother, she was the voice in my head when I thought of movie singing, even if she was the uncredited ghost singer! I remember being flabbergasted when I was in my 30s to find out that Deborah Kerr had not really sang the songs in An Affair to Remember or the King and I, that I adored!

Her ghost voicing included:
 “Getting to Know You,” and "Shall We Dance" from The King and I
"Tonight" and “I Feel Pretty,” from West Side Story
"It Would be Loverly", "The Rain in Spain" and “I Could Have Danced All Night,” 
from My Fair Lady
"An Affair to Remember" and "Tomorrowland" from An Affair to Remember
and 
the high part of the song "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
and
for her Disney connection:
"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Cinderella
and
"Honor to Us All" (Grandmother Fa) in Mulan!

Marni was 86!


And for an interesting trivia note, her son Andrew Gold, was a popular songwriter whose penned another childhood staple- the theme from the TV show, The Golden Girls,“Thank You for Being a Friend” . 

So let's celebrate her great voice, shall we?

Comments