Recipe Weekend: Feast and Fishes...........

Tom Fitzmorris has reminded me that
" today is the feast day of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits. Like many people worldwide, I've experienced the Jesuit influence again and again throughout my life." (from his New Orleans Menu Daily recipe digest for today)

I attended Jesuit schools, including college- St I (as we used to call him) was our patron saint for the college. I blame the Jesuits for my being able to expound on just abount anything due to their severe take on Liberal Arts/constant seeking & knowledge of information approach. Don't take me wrong, it can be a great thing, but it's also the reason I read 2 books at one time (1 fiction, 1 more 'educational, aka history, theology, cooking'), and will read obscure articles in the newspaper or magazines. Course my mother also had Jesuit training, so she sorta molded me before the Jesuits got ahold of me. And we won't discuss the Dominican nuns who had the other half of my education- let's just say they and the Jesuits are pretty well in sync......

Per Tom "The Jesuits are everywhere. . . "
I agree with him completely- plus the topic has given me the opportunity to give you my loyal readers, a link to Tom's free weekly email digest which ALWAYS includes a superb local recipe (at the bottom, so make sure you scroll down all the way when you get one!). You can sign up here:
http://www.nomenu.com/default.html

If you subscribe, then you get a daily digest-woo hoo-more recipes in your inbox!- even $5 will let you subscribe! AND you can access the recipes online off the main site any time you want to!

You can also buy Tom's EXCELLENT cookbook here:
http://www.nomenu.com/Cookbook/index.html

I can vouch for the recipes- haven't had a bad one yet!

But before you think this is just a promo for Tom I actually am starting a recipe weekend with this post- ie I will try to post a recipe we all like every weekend! Notice I am not aiming for friday or saturday or sunday exactly- this way I have 3 whole days to get it posted! Yippee!

So in honor or Saint Neot, whose feast day is ALSO today and is the patron saint of fish, here's
Tom's recipe for Trout Moran (aka trout covered in shrimp and crab sauce- see you're liking it already!): www.nomenu.com/Recipe/TroutMoranFree.html
Trout Moran

It's pan-sauteed speckled trout with a lemon butter sauce made in the style of shrimp scampi. You can use crabmeat or crawfish in their seasons instead of (or in addition to) the shrimp (note-we make it with crafish and crab- just our preference) . This was a great specialty in the kitchens of the late Jimmy Moran: La Louisiane and then Moran's Riverside. The dish lives on at restaurants run by the chefs who worked at Moran's over the years, notably Sal & Judy's and Impastato's (in New Orleans area).

Sauce:
  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 20 medium (20-25 count) shrimp, peeled
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 3 Tbs. lemon juice, strained
  • 1/2 cup shrimp or crab stock
  • 1 stick butter
  • 6 sprigs flat-leaf Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
  • 4 fillets of speckled trout, about 6-8 oz. each.
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 Tbs. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Make the sauce first. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and the shrimp and saute until the shrimp turn pink. Remove the garlic, and lower the heat to medium.

2. Add the sherry, lemon juice, and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the liquid to about one-fourth the original volume, then remove from the heat.

3. Cut the stick of butter into small chips and whisk them in to make a creamy-looking sauce. Stir in the parsley. Keep warm.

4. Mix the salt and pepper into the flour. Dust the trout fillets liberally in the seasoned flour.

5. Heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Saute the trout, two fillets at a time, until golden brown--about three minutes per side.

6. Place a trout fillet on each serving plate and top with the sauce, splitting the shrimp equally among the plates.

Serves four

as Julia would say
Bon Appetit!

Comments

Post a Comment