Book Review: How to be Hepburn in a Hilton World

I was recently sent How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Christy Jordan, courtesy of Hachett Book Publishers.

The title instantly grabbed me and made me read the book, even though it was listed as YA (Young Adult).

The book is very small- only 196 pages and is filled with chapters like Stupid Girls, Choose Your Words Wisely, Dress to Impress and Less is More. It is a very quick read!

I would recommend this book for ALL parent of girls and for all girls, but I think it would be better to start around age 8-9 with reading parts of it! Unfortunately in today's age, girls are having to face alot of things sooner than my generation did!

I was raised with an old-fashioned Southern way, so alot of what Jordan speaks of is second nature to me, as it was drilled and redrilled into me growing up. Audrey Hepburn, Kathryn Hepburn, Deborah Kerr, where all women who I watched regularly on old movie re-runs, but saw as smart, defined, styled, cultured, women, who GOT what they wanted by using their brains. The seventies may have been showing me mini-skirts, but I understood that that classic business suit was gonna get me farther and into a better job, than go-go boots!

Things have changed today, kids now emulate Brittany Spears, Mariah Carey, the Bratz dolls, etc. Being covered up and taken seriously no longer seems to exist in the media. Y
ou only have to look at Facebook, My Space or Girls Gone Wild to know that concepts that should be second nature are no longer taught to the younger generations.

Jordan has filled the book with classic quotes to illustrate her rules of behavior-she presents them in funny, daily instance scenarios that anyone can grasp.

The one that sums the book up best is:

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words,
Watch your words, for they become actions,
Watch your actions, for they become habits,
Watch your habits, for they become character,
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny".

I think this will be a great gift for any pre-teen, and a great starting conversation point between mothers and daughters!

Comments