Recipe Weekend/ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms

make ahead cookbook cover
OK, you caught me- this isn't a recipe per se like normal, it's about a COLLECTION of recipes. See I have this little problem- I forgot to set up a recipe in advance, and as I am trying to get house in shape before I have to go in for surgery AND spend quality time with hubby and daughter, I ran into a pickle, but THEN remembered I had the review for Jane's book that I needed to post. So waala- Recipe Weekend about Make Ahead meals..............

I was recently given the opportunity to review Janie Doiron's new cookbook, "Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms", that is due to be released (fingers crossed for ya'll) in the next few weeks, by the author herself!

Now anybody that knows me, knows I come by my cookbook addiction naturally- I easily have 75-100 books, my mother probably 300 or more! So any cookbook that can make meals quick and simple for when I'm in a hurry gets my vote!

I've spent 3 weeks cooking some of the recipes from Jane's book, and she has definately kept to the keep it simple and quick motto! i haven't come across a bad recipe yet! I really like that alot of the dishes are easily doubled or tripled for eat tonight and freeze 1/2 for later, or for large party/potluck!

I would say the majority of Jane's recipes rely on key items that should be in every cooks pantry, with the addition of 1 or 2 key fresh ingreadients. For a new cook, the book would be a great way to compile a list of things needed for a pantry. It would be a GREAT book for a newlywed. In fact if you used it as the theme for a bridal shower you could easily stock the pantry for the bride to be with items from the recipes within the book. How great would that be to just have to buy fresh ingredients to make quick and filling dinners everynight after just getting married?????

I guess I have showers on the brain (long story, not going there), as I tested alot of recipes from the book that could easily be considered "shower food". Well, at least here in the South they are!
The simple recipe for Chicken (or Turkey) meatballs or burgers can easily be made into sliders using small rolls as buns, OR the meatballs could be made and then used with the sauce from Party Kielbasa for quick finger food. The Party Kielbasa sauce can also be used with partys sausages instead of cut up Kielbasa.

The broiled Honey Mustard Salmon would be superb for a small bridal luncheon is beyond simple. Fix, mariande, hours later, cook. Also super for the dinner with the in-laws, or to impress the boss! The seafood quicke is another recipe that lends itself to looking fancy when it's not. Only 8 ingredients, if you include spice (pepper)! And it's very filling and delicious! Jane uses crambeat and shrimp in her recipe. I found that you can make it with crab and crawfish, or just crawfish or just shrimp and it's equally good. Add some porcini mushrooms and BAM, you've got a dish worthy of any 5 star restaurant!

I have to admit the Meat Pies recipe seems to be derived from the local Natchitoches hand held meat pies. But it seems like every culture has a similar recipe. jane's recipe is straightforward and simple. It is easily spiced up with the use of some Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice, or some Mexican spice. It really depends on your tastebuds To use the recipe for a party or shower, you could make up the filling, but use a biscuit cutter to cut the refrigerated store bought pie dough into circles,, fill with small spoon and seal either in crescent shapr or with another circle, to make a small hand size pie! And best yet, the recipe can be frozen, allowing you to have a make 'em weekend ahead of when you need them! Oh and Jane, this is my Mom's recipe too! We just add more spice to it!

The taco lasagna is very quick to make and a definite crowd pleaser! I usually use a mix of ground beef and pork in my lasagna recipes, but using turkey like Jane calls for is healthier and the taste is pretty much the same due to the great combination of spices!

Jane's Shepherd Pie is different than the one I grew up eating. But I think I like her's better! I like the addition of cream corn- I guess because we'd serve cream corn with the one my Mom made alot! using cream cheese in the mashed potatoes gives them a super yummy flavor!

The mini-pecan pie muffins are SOOOOO simple. They would be great for a morning event or bakesale! They are to die for yummy when they first come out of the oven!

Hmmmmmm, I'm making myself hungry! I hope I've made you hungry too and you check out Jane's new cookbook!

Sign yourself up on her website and you can preview some recipes:
www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com

Way to go Jane- this cookbook is a KEEPER on my frequent flyer cookbook shelf!

Comments

  1. Thanks you so much Nicole! I'm glad you enjoyed the recipes. I'll never forget how excited you were to review my cookbook! (Us cookbook junkies need to stick together!)

    Good luck with your surgery and keep in touch.

    Jane Doiron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment