RIP...John Hughes

Wow I open up internet to check my email and get hit with :

"Writer-director John Hughes, who captured the teen market with such favorites as "Home Alone", "National Lampoon's Vacation","The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off","Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and "Uncle Buck." died Thursday, of a heart attack during a morning walk in Manhattan, at age 59.

Hughes rose from ad writer to comedy writer to silver screen champ with his affectionate and idealized portraits of teens, whether the romantic and sexual insecurity of "Sixteen Candles," or "Pretty in Pink", or the J.D. Salinger-esque rebellion against conformity in "The Breakfast Club." He made stars out of Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy among others."
(per Yahoo news)


YOWSA- I mean I know I'm dating myself, but man, does it feel like my generation's poet laureate (2nd only to Bono, hello) is GONE.

WOW- we all wanted to be as cool as Ferris, to get the cute boy like Samantha, be part of the detention that one Saturday morning, and were glad Kevin was NOT our little brother. And how many times have we all lamented that our family vacations were just a little TOO much like the Griswolds....

Not only was it the movies, it was the MUSIC he put in the movies.............
Can you think of "Ferris Bueller" and NOT think of the music? I was singing "Don't You Forget About Me" to my daughter to my daughter only 4 days ago when it came on the radio! I still remember ALL the words!

I honestly can not remember my high school/college years without remembering his movies- their music, their emotion, their fun- they touched my life in so many little ways that they are indefinately entwined among my memories like a soft cashmere blanket.

SIGH..I feel old...............

' Don't Don't Don't Don't,
Don't You Forget About Me
....'

We Won't, I promise!
I've got a 2 yr old who knows the chorus to that song already, and I can't wait to share the movie with her!

Our prayers go out to the Hughes family-we will all kindly remember John and the shared culture he gave us!

Comments