Product Review: Prosilk Gold Flat Iron and Silk Serum

I was recently sent the Prosilk Gold Flat Iron and Silk Serum to review by Cathy at the Trendsetter Group, as an introduction to the Prosilk hair styling tools line!

As you all know, my hair HATES the South and more the HUMIDITY that is pretty much ever constant! So I'm always on the lookout for the 'magic potion' that will solve the frizz/big hair problem, as I really don't like to constantly flat iron my hair, as I already dye it (don't go there- the early to white is genetic!)and don't want to cause more damage!

I've had a Chi flat iron for over 5 years (thanks Mom-in-Law)and it's great, but I know it's not going to last forever and it only has one setting (on), so when I saw the info on the Prosilk Gold I was intriqued! 
  • Ceramic Dispersion Technology (Distributes heat evenly - eliminates hair damaging hot spots)
  • Ionic Technology (Preserves Moisture and Shine to Give a Smooth Silky Hair and Provides Volume)
  • 7 Second Heat (Instant heat to 435 F - 225 C) 
  • Automatic Sensor Control (Maintains constant temperatures zones – Eliminates Frizz)
  • Ergonomically Engineered (Designed for the stylists comfort) 
  • Light Weight Durability 
  • Scratch Free Working Surface Plates (East to Clean Inhibits Odor and Bacteria Buildup) 
  • 9 ft Swivel Power Cord (Improves flexibility) 
  • 3 year warranty 
  • Retail $59.95to $79.95


So in the interest of TRUE testing- here's a before picture of my hair! As the weather was down into the 50s, the humidity was low, so it's not too bad, but I went to bed with a wet head the night before, so I had some frizz and poofiness that hair serum wasn't controlling.

So I used the Prosilk Silk Serum on my hair first. It has a light feel, not greasy, and a super light smell. Having used different serums before flat ironing, I wasn't too sure if the serum was heavy enough to provide good protection, but I was game!

Now to reading the package to see what temp to put the flat iron on. I love that the flat iron has different settings- I can put it on light for a quick touch up or for use on my daughter. As my hair tends to coarseness, I went ahead and put on high setting. There is a small dial with the different temp settings, but the box has a chart that shows the temps and for what type of hair they should be used for.

So I plugged the flat iron in, set the temp, and went and had hubby take the picture, about 4 feet away. By the time I got back, maybe 30 seconds, the flat iron was hot and ready to go- they don't lie about that 7 seconds! See the black on the flat iron- another cool feature- velvet that allows for easier slipping thru hair, to hold onto and reduce the owies from hitting the flat iron on the top of your ears!

I liked the smaller plates, as they made the flat iron easier to hold and you can only straighten a small amount at one time anyways when you have thick hair, so smaller is perfectly fine. Plus being smaller than my Chi, makes it better for traveling! Always a plus!

The serum seemed to work great, my hair felt smooth and silky and there didn't appear to be any hotspots. It seemed like I got thru in record time. Even hubby thought it seemed like half the time it normally takes me! I'm assuming the temp control has alot to do with that, as I didn't have to go back back over sections 2 or 3 times, like I sometimes have to do!  As always when I got done, it was time for the scissors, as when you straighten your hair, EVERY split end shows! So after a touch up (that I;m sure my beautician will scream about- LOL), we have the finished results:


Wala- straightened but STILL with body- can't explain the weird part- just fell that way! As you can see the hair has movement and isn't clumped together.

The next day we went to NOMA in museum and were outside for quite a while feeding ducks and letting daughter play in the fake snow. I got windblown like crazy! Then a round of playing on the swings before coming home from Mom-in-law's and hair still looked like it did the night before! Serum holding pretty well!

As I type this, it's 3 days later, my hair is STILL under control and looks like it did when I straightened it. No itching scalp from the serum and I can probably go another 1-2 days before having to wash my hair. Normally when I straighten my hair by day 3, it's getting washed and the serums aggravate my scalp and my hair just seems to get 'greasy'. But I don't have ANY of that!

Call me SOLD on the Prosilk line of products! They're staying in frequent rotation at my house!


Disclosure: I was sent these products, free of charge, by Prosilk and Cathy Mogler of Trendsetter Consulting PR Group. I was NOT told however how to review them. My experiences with these products are just that MINE. Yours may be different, as hair is individual and different.

Big Thanks to Cathy and  Blogger Link Up for connecting me with Cathy as well!