Mailbox Tuesday: Kingdom Chums by Squire Rushnell

A couple of months ago, I told you about a favorite book of mine, When God Winks at You, by Squire Rushnell.

Many of you probably had never heard of the author, Squire Rushnell, but I would venture to say MOST of you have alot to thank him for. Especially if you learned about conjunctions, voting, how a bill gets to congress, your body and numbers,  from Saturday morning tv!.

That's right- Rushnell was the VP of Children's Programming at ABC, who helped bring us all SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK!

SO let's give him a round of applause! Seriously, I think "conjunction" and I have to start singing that song!
" Conjuction junction what's your function.........."

Rushnell was the creator of The Kingdom Chums property during his 15 year tenure as ABC Vice President of Children’s and Family Programming. As a father of ABC Schoolhouse Rock and the ABC Afterschool Specials, winners of 75 Emmy’s, his aim was to employ the entertaining and informative power of television programs and characters to teach children basic morals and values.

WELL, while perusing Rushnell's website for info on godwinks for the review of his book, I found that he has a kids dvd, Kingdom Chums, for sale, that teaches kids the TEN COMMANDMENTS!
kingdom chums characters
  “Bring up a child in the ways of the Lord, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Prov.22


The storyline of the 52 minute film finds brother and sister, Petey and Annie, accosted by the class bully, Osborn. He brags that he’s just swiped a record from the library.Through unique communication with her stuffed animals, The Kingdom Chums, Annie says. ”It sounds like Osborn broke one of the Original Top Ten.”“You mean, like the very first Top Ten?” demands Osborn.“Yes, the best collection of all time,” rejoins Annie.Giving Petey a shove, just as they are swished into a jukebox, Osborn continues, “I wanna get my hands on that “Original Top Ten.” 

As the kids arrive at the Land of the Kingdom Chums, they are greeted by Christopher The Lion of Love, and meet other characters who will take them on their journey. “Just follow the Love Light,” says Christopher. 

Rushnell says sometimes, teenagers who learned to sing the 10 songs about the values of the Ten Commandments when they were little kids, will report that those lessons kept them on a straight pathway all through the temptations they faced. I don't remember seeing the show, probably because I was too old when it came out!


The cast- WOW- includes Debby Boone, Marilyn McCoo, Tony Orlando, Billy Preston, and Frankie Valli,among others! Ok, so it'san 80's cast, but hey great voices right!


kingdom chums dvd

You can check out the book website for a preview video!  What is so great is that he is GIVING them away, you only pay $4.99 for shipping (regular OR priority!).Check out the video website for more on ordering your OWN cpoy!

So you know with that great of deal I had to order one for darling daughter, right? 

Kiddo greatly enjoyed the video and wanted to watch it again and again! Then about a month later when we studied the Ten Commandments in Sunday School she remembered them very well when I phrased them as they were in the video! Yippee! I loved that the video was aimed at younger kids (Ie how to explain adultery- Kingdom Chums calls it being true to the one you love).

This is the PERFECT video for Sunday School and home schooling! AND you just can not beat the price! Check it out today and see if you kids love it as much as mine did!

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail