Book Review and Giveaway: The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok

** This giveaway is closed **




the memory palace cover
Synopsis: " People have abandoned their loved ones for much less than you've been through," Mira Bartok is told at her mother's memorial service. It is a poignant observation about the relationship between Mira, her sister, and their mentally ill mother. Before she was struck with schizophrenia at the age of nineteen, beautiful piano protege. Norma Herr had been the most vibrant personality in the room. 

She loved her daughters and did her best to raise them well, but as her mental state deteriorated, Norma spoke less about Chopin and more about Nazis and her fear that her daughters would be kidnapped, murdered, or raped. When the girls left for college, the harassment escalated—Norma called them obsessively, appeared at their apartments or jobs, threatened to kill herself if they did not return home. After a traumatic encounter, Mira and her sister were left with no choice but to change their names and sever all contact with Norma in order to stay safe. 

But while Mira pursued her career as an artist—exploring the ancient romance of Florence, the eerie mysticism of northern Norway, and the raw desert of Israel—the haunting memories of her mother were never far away. Then one day, Mira's life changed forever after a debilitating car accident. As she struggled to recover from a traumatic brain injury, she was confronted with a need to recontextualize her life—she had to relearn how to paint, read, and interact with the outside world. In her search for a way back to her lost self, Mira reached out to the homeless shelter where she believed her mother was living and discovered that Norma was dying. 

Mira and her sister traveled to Cleveland, where they shared an extraordinary reconciliation with their mother that none of them had thought possible. At the hospital, Mira discovered a set of keys that opened a storage unit Norma had been keeping for seventeen years. Filled with family photos, childhood toys, and ephemera from Norma's life, the storage unit brought back a flood of previous memories that Mira had thought were lost to her forever.



About the Author:  Mira Bartok is a Chicago-born artist and writer and the author of twenty-eight books for children. Her writing has appeared in several literary journals and anthologies and has been noted in The Best American Essays series. She lives in Western Massachusetts where she runs Mira's List (http://www.miraslist.blogspot.com), a blog that helps artists find funding and residencies all over the world. The Memory Palace is Mira's first book for adults. You can find her at: www.thememorypalace.com.

Review: The Memory Palace is an amazing memoir that truly shows you how children of schizophrenic's cope, or in Mira's case, choose to walk away, from their parents issues. The book is a wonderful story of the ties that bind- for now matter what Mira was doing in the world, her mother seemed to have a psychic link to it, and expressed it in letters. Mira never knew if her mother was going to show up where she was and this link only heightened the fear. This book is NOT a quick sit down read- it is very complex- and heartbreaking at times. Anyone who has had family members with troubles (be it mental illness, alcohol or drugs), will be able to relate to Mira's story. The amazing life Mira led, despite coping with her mother's problems, was inspiring!

The Memory Palace is a prefect example of a mother's love for her child, that knows no bounds, and how we need to all store our memories in a safe place like the Memory Palace that Mira recommends. I highly recommend it! 

Giveaway:
One winner will win this review copy of The Memory Palace


Entries:
Make sure I have an email address, with your comment,
so I can contact you, if you win!   
If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!

USA / Canada

3 day winner's rule : Winner has days to acknowledge they won prize,
and confirm address, if no contact, then new winner will be picked in their place. 


  Please post each entry separately, i.e. 2 comments for Subscribing: 
     PLEASE NOTE NEW ENTRY RULES BELOW! 
  • Follow this blog on Blogger/Google Friend Connect (1 entry) 
  • Follow me on Twitter (1 entry)
  • Follow this Blog on Facebook (1 entry)
  • Follow this blog on Networked Blogs (1 entry)
  • Tweet about this contest (2 entries), please include @BTHM1 in your tweet!  (this can be done DAILY for 2 entries PER day)  (you can use the RETWEET button above)  
  • Subscribe to this blog (2 entries) 
  • Share/ Post about this giveaway on Facebook (2 entries) (use the new SHARE button below!)
  • Stumble this post/giveaway (2 entries)  (use the new SHARE button below!)
  • Have / Put the "Bless Their Hearts Mom Blog" Button on your blog or website (3 entries)
  • Enter this post link in a Giveaway Linky on another site (4 entries)** MUST provide link to the Giveaway Linky! 
  • Blog about this giveaway (5 entries)



Contest will end on February 10th, at midnight. Winner will be picked by Random Number (random.org) on February 11th, and emailed. As soon as winner's info is received, I will mail their book to them the following week!





Disclosure / Disclaimer:  i was sent this book, free of charge, for review purposes, by Free Press Publishing. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about th



  • ISBN-10: 1439183317
  • ISBN-13: 978-1439183311
e book either.





Comments

  1. Coping with a mother that has a mental illness is not easy, I have had experience with it. I would love to read this book.
    I am a gfc follower.
    debbie
    twoofakind12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a email subscriber.
    twoofakind12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a email subscriber.2
    twoofakind12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love a new book!
    I follow you on GFC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I subscribe via email.
    Kims2312@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I subscribe to Bless Their Hearts Mom via email
    Kims2312@verizon.net
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my family, depression runs strong, my father had bipolar disorder, my mother had to be hospitalized twice for depression, one my brothers committed suicide and I have Major Depression. It is so hard to "take care" of your mother when you have depression too. I would love to read this book to see how the two sisters came together and reconcied with their mothers' memory.

    I follow this log with Google Friend Connect.

    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. # 1 I follow your blog with an e-mail subscription.



    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. # 2 I follow this blog with


    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow your blog with Twitter.


    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow your blog with Facebook.


    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I follow via GFC as Tracy Taylor, I am bipolar as it would now apear is my ten year old daughter and I read everything I can about mental illness. I love novels about it, they are so much lighter than "text book" type books.
    tracyschultz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I follow via GFC as Tracy Taylor
    tracyschultz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I follow via Twitter (mom2girls 1974)
    tracyschultz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I subscribe to this blog post #1
    tracyschultz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I subscribe to this blog post #2tracyschultz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to enter this giveaway for the book. Sounds interesting. I follow.
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Email subscriber 1
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Email subscriber 2
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  20. My step sister and her brother both had Bipolar disorder as did their mother. It's a tough life.

    I am a GFC follower

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great giveaway - thanks!
    abrennan09@hotmail.com
    entry 1

    ReplyDelete
  22. abrennan09@hotmail.com
    subscribe via email 1

    ReplyDelete
  23. abrennan09@hotmail.com
    subscribe via email

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most interested in reading this. Thanks for the wonderful giveaway

    dianad8008 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Email subscriber #1. Thanks

    dianad8008 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Following you via GFC
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. twitter follower @Alliegal101
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1 tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/Alliegal101/status/31160097472253952
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. 2 tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/Alliegal101/status/31160097472253952
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. email subscriber 1
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. email subscriber 2
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-memory-palace-by-mira-bartok.html
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. 2 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-memory-palace-by-mira-bartok.html
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. 3 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-memory-palace-by-mira-bartok.html
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  35. 4 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-memory-palace-by-mira-bartok.html
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. 5 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-memory-palace-by-mira-bartok.html
    girl23rocks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  37. GFC follower already!
    aleksa91 hotmail com

    ReplyDelete
  38. busyworkingmama follows you on twitter
    aleksa91 hotmail com

    ReplyDelete
  39. coreybrennan26@hotmail.com
    I subscribe through email 1
    thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  40. coreybrennan26@hotmail.com
    I subscribe through email 2
    thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  41. subscribe #2

    tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sounds like an interesting read!
    I follow via gfc (lgm52)
    lgm52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm already following you on GFC

    Thanks for visiting Family Literacy this weekend. I'm following you back.

    Have a wonderful week - and be sure to enter Usborne Books giveaway by 1/31 for the 365 Ways to draw and paint at:

    http://www.usbornebooksandmore.com/ContestEntry.aspx?newid=L2337

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"

    Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gmail

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm following you on Twitter
    @familyliteracy

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm following you on FB
    Tina Peterson

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Daily Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/#!/familyliteracy/status/31954786630770688


    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  47. FB'd this giveaway at:
    http://www.facebook.com/TheBookLady/posts/172799422765426


    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  48. #2 FB'd this giveaway at:
    http://www.facebook.com/TheBookLady/posts/172799422765426


    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  49. #1 Added your giveaway to a linky at:
    http://thebookfrog.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-weissmanns-of-westport-by.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  50. #2 Added your giveaway to a linky at:
    http://thebookfrog.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-weissmanns-of-westport-by.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  51. #2 Added your giveaway to a linky at:
    http://thebookfrog.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-weissmanns-of-westport-by.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  52. #4 Added your giveaway to a linky at:
    http://thebookfrog.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-weissmanns-of-westport-by.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  53. #1 I added you to my blogroll:
    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com/p/family-literacy-more.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  54. #2 I added you to my blogroll:
    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com/p/family-literacy-more.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  55. #3 I added you to my blogroll:
    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com/p/family-literacy-more.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    contact(dot)thebooklady(at)gma...

    ReplyDelete
  56. I would like to enter this giveaway. I'm following on GFC and twitter w/ @headlessfowl.

    Thank you!

    headlessfowl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  57. follow your blog
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  58. follow you on twitter, partymix25
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  59. email subscriber #1
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  60. email subscriber #2
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  61. I follow you on Twitter!

    @Taralin

    TaraTagli at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  62. http://chicagocouponconfessions.blogspot.com/2011/02/giveaways_07.html


    I blogged about the giveaway!

    TaraTagli at gmail dot com

    #2

    ReplyDelete
  63. http://chicagocouponconfessions.blogspot.com/2011/02/giveaways_07.html


    I blogged about the giveaway!

    TaraTagli at gmail dot com

    #3

    ReplyDelete
  64. http://chicagocouponconfessions.blogspot.com/2011/02/giveaways_07.html


    I blogged about the giveaway!

    TaraTagli at gmail dot com

    #5

    ReplyDelete
  65. Twitter Follower
    @NancyeDavis

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  66. FB Follower

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  67. I follow on Networked Blogs

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  68. Tweet! Ttweet!
    @NancyeDavis

    http://twitter.com/#!/NancyeDavis/status/36084760224874496

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail