From the AP:
"A new study provides disturbing answers to questions about how much students actually learn in college — for many, not much — and has inflamed a debate about the value of an American higher education.
The research of more than 2,300 undergraduates found 45 percent of students show no significant improvement in the key measures of critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing by the end of their sophomore years.
One problem is that students just aren't asked to do much, according to findings in a new book, "Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses." Half of students did not take a single course requiring 20 pages of writing during their prior semester, and one-third did not take a single course requiring even 40 pages of reading per week."
SAY WHAT?????
I just about 'fell out' (aka passed out to you non-Southerners) when I read this! I mean, yeah, I graduated 2 decades ago (eek)- but EVERY ONE of the courses we were required to take for basics AND degree, ALL had at least 40-60 pages of reading, and at least 20-40 pages of writing a week! Now granted this was a private Catholic University, but they had set standards, and if you went there, you met them, or you left. PERIOD.
I can STILL synopsis and quote most of what I learned- it was ingrained into my head! With what tuition costs nowadays, why aren't the COLLEGE kids demanding their money's worth form their colleges and universities?
I can still remember my Freshman advisor trying to talk me out of taking 18 credits, because the courses were SO hard, and I was signed up for 2 senior classes. I had to argue that I came from a Catholic college-prep high school and was USED to the load and would be fine. At the end of the semester, this esteemed advisor came up and congratulated me for slogging thru and keeping a B+ (equivalent) average. I looked at him like he was nuts and said, "I should have had an A average, the nuns would be mad I sloughed off". He was dumb founded. I was serious! With what I was paying, I was determined I would be getting the education I was paying for- I took a full 18 credits EVERY semester, even Senior year! (which of course is why I had 2 minors, which should have been a double major and a minor, but there were issues with the sole internship required...)
So what has changed? Have we really slacked off SO much as a society that we just say ok to a lower standard for our kids? What happened to PUSHING yourself and LEARNING in college?
If you know your classes are TOO easy, why not complain, or better yet, switch to a harder class? So you don't make an A+, MAYBE you'll LEARN more....SIGH.........my daughter is gonna HATE me when she gets to college- I'll be the evil mother in the Dean's office complaining they better educate my kid or else...
Want to join me?

What a great post!! Love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway..
I am following you back. I am also following on Twitter as CandidaJourney.
I don't know if you happened to see the Valentine TwitterGanza on my blog. 12 prizes one winner. all you do is follow 12 sponsors on twitter and tweet.
http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentine-twitterganza-giveaway.html
@Terry
ReplyDeletei havent had a chance to go back and enter! thanks for the reminder~!
Wow I went to college a few years back at 39 y/o and I think I learned TONS more than I ever did at public school.
ReplyDeleteThough I must say the math must not have been too hard...
My 13 year old comes home with some of the same stuff I used to!
I picked it back up quickly, but I've had several kids go through high school so I've kept SOMEWHAT on top of things.
Though I SWEAR my other kids didn't do what my 13 year old is doing this year....
For the record, I had tons of reading to do in college as well as reports, essays and homework on a regular basis.
I have a couple of blogs:
Blogging Biz Mom
Working at home advice
Come on Home