** this giveaway is closed ***
;
;
This might seem an odd book giveaway to help start our "Pretty in Pink Bonanza", but there was a WHOLE lotta praying going on before kiddos's arrival, and a whole lot of prayer afterwards. So I looked at the title and had to smile (it's SO Southern), then I picked up the book and read it, and knew I had to tell ya'll about asap!
Synopsis: Called a “special child,” Southern social code for mentally—and
physically—challenged children, Richard was crippled by deformed hips
and was told he would spend his adult life in a wheelchair. During his
early years in charity hospitals, Richard observed the drama of other
broken boys’ lives, children from impoverished Appalachia, tobacco
country lowlands, and Richmond’s poorest neighborhoods. The son of a
solitary alcoholic father whose hair-trigger temper terrorized his
family, and of a mother who sought inner peace through fasting, prayer,
and scripture, Richard spent his bedridden childhood withdrawn into the
company of books.
As a young man, Richard, defying both his doctors and parents, set out to experience as much of the world as he could—as a disc jockey, fishing trawler deckhand, house painter, naval correspondent, aerial photographer, private investigator, foreign journalist, bartender and unsuccessful seminarian—before his hips failed him. While digging irrigation ditches in east Texas, he discovered that a teacher had sent a story of his to the Atlantic, where it was named a winner in the magazine’s national fiction contest launching a career much in the mold of Jack London and Mark Twain.
As a young man, Richard, defying both his doctors and parents, set out to experience as much of the world as he could—as a disc jockey, fishing trawler deckhand, house painter, naval correspondent, aerial photographer, private investigator, foreign journalist, bartender and unsuccessful seminarian—before his hips failed him. While digging irrigation ditches in east Texas, he discovered that a teacher had sent a story of his to the Atlantic, where it was named a winner in the magazine’s national fiction contest launching a career much in the mold of Jack London and Mark Twain.
About the Author: Mark is the author of two award-winning short story collections, The Ice at the Bottom of the World and Charity, and the novel Fishboy. His short stories and journalism have appeared in the New York Times, The New Yorker, Harper’s, Esquire, Vogue, and GQ.
He is the recipient of the PEN/Hemingway Award, a National Endowment
for the Arts fellowship, and a Whiting Foundation Writer’s Award. He
lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their three sons.
Review: WOW. To think the author's teachers thought he was 'special'. His writing is amazing! Once you get used to the stream of consciousness method, it makes sense and the book breezes on by. The fact that the author survived his childhood, much less his young twenties is amazing! But what richness for this novel! Some people have called it :Southern Gothic"- I don't think I'd go that far, but it is VERY Southern. Those who were raised in the South will instantly bond with the author and his family, and able to relate to alot of the social moire's of the South that he comes up against.
The author literally had alot of lucky breaks or coincidences that end up shaping his career, and the future of the real House of Prayer #2 (yes, it's a Southern church). In the end it is a book about fate, and perseverance, and pure will, and a book that is NOT to be missed! So I am extremely excited to be able to offer not one but TWO lucky readers the chance for their own copy!
If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!
USA only
Contest will end on March 14th,
at midnight. Winner will be picked by Random Number (random.org) on
March 15th, and emailed. As soon as winners' info is received, I will email their info to Random House, who will mail them their books!
ISBN: 978-0385534062
Review: WOW. To think the author's teachers thought he was 'special'. His writing is amazing! Once you get used to the stream of consciousness method, it makes sense and the book breezes on by. The fact that the author survived his childhood, much less his young twenties is amazing! But what richness for this novel! Some people have called it :Southern Gothic"- I don't think I'd go that far, but it is VERY Southern. Those who were raised in the South will instantly bond with the author and his family, and able to relate to alot of the social moire's of the South that he comes up against.
The author literally had alot of lucky breaks or coincidences that end up shaping his career, and the future of the real House of Prayer #2 (yes, it's a Southern church). In the end it is a book about fate, and perseverance, and pure will, and a book that is NOT to be missed! So I am extremely excited to be able to offer not one but TWO lucky readers the chance for their own copy!
Giveaway:
TWO Winners will each receive their own copy of House of Prayer #2!
Entries:
Make sure I have an email address, with your comment,
so I can contact you,if you win! If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!
USA only
(no PO boxes, sorry Publisher's rules!)
3 day winner's rule : Winner has 3 days to acknowledge they won prize,
and confirm address, if no contact, then new winner will be picked in their place.
Please post each entry separately, i.e. 2 comments for Subscribing:
Some entries have been combined on one line, check carefully!
- Follow this blog on Google Friend Connect (1 entry)
- Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Networked Blogs (1 entry for EACH)
- Fun entry! Go to our Blog Rolls and select a blog that starts with the same letter as your email. let me know the title of one of their posts on their main page! (2 entries)
- Subscribe to this blog (2 entries)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter (please use BTHM1 in your Tweet!) -you can use the new SHARE and RETWEET buttons below this post!) (2 entries EACH, per DAY)
- Stumble this post/giveaway (2 entries) (use the new SHARE button below!)
- Have / Put the "Bless Their Hearts Mom Blog" Button on your blog or website (3 entries)
- Enter this post link in a Giveaway Linky on another site (4 entries)** MUST provide link to the Giveaway Linky!
- Told me your favorite PINK memory on THIS post (can NOT be put on this post) (4 entries)
- Have the Pretty in Pink Button (on right top sidebar) on your blog (4 entries)
- Blog about this giveaway (5 entries)
Disclosure
/ Disclaimer: I received this book, free of charge, from Random House
Publishing, via Book Blogs Ning, for blog review only! No other
compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for
this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.

Looks like a great story!
ReplyDeleteJHolden955 at gmail dot com
I am a GFC follower.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955 at gmail dot com
I am an email subscriber #1.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955 at gmail dot com
I am an email subscriber #2.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955 at gmail dot com
I am a GFC follower
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
I am an Email subscriber
ReplyDelete1
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
I am an Email subscriber
ReplyDelete2
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
I'd love to read this. Thanks!
ReplyDeletemelydia@hotmail.com
GFC follower cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeleteI like you on facebook cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeletenetworked blogs follower cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeleteemail subscriber 1 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeleteemail subscriber 2 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeletepink memory 1 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeletepink memory 2 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeletepink memory 3 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeletepink memory 4 cwitherstine at zoominternet dot net
ReplyDeleteI follow - gfc - emillie.
ReplyDeletehisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I follow on twitter - hisprincess886.
ReplyDeletehisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I follow on fb - emillie rose.
ReplyDeletehisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
Hip Mama's Place - How to look fabulous in redlipstick.
ReplyDeleteentry 1 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
Hip Mama's Place - How to look fabulous in redlipstick.
ReplyDeleteentry 2 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I subscribe via email - using my emillie(lastname)@gmail.com address.
ReplyDeleteentry 1 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I subscribe via email - using my emillie(lastname)@gmail.com address.
ReplyDeleteentry 2 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I shared on fb - http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=135557303179694&id=100001891505536.
ReplyDeleteentry 1 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I shared on fb - http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=135557303179694&id=100001891505536.
ReplyDeleteentry 2 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I shared on twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/HisPrincess886/status/47273858339831809.
ReplyDeleteentry 1 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com
I shared on twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/HisPrincess886/status/47273858339831809.
ReplyDeleteentry 2 of 2
hisprincess886(at)yahoo(dot)com