Oh No They DID NOT....

Soap

Disney has messed with the WRONG literary character................

It has been announced the JENNIFER GARNER will star as Agatha Christie's spinster detective, Miss Marple.

Please join in a collective SHUDDER and scream of OH NO THEY DIDN'T !!!!

Don't get me wrong, Garner has her acting moments and I'm not opposed to her playing a female detective, but NOT Miss Marple.

miss marple 1927
Agatha is rolling over in her GRAVE:
"Agatha Christie attributed the inspiration for Miss Marple to a number of sources: Miss Marple was “the sort of old lady who would have been rather like some of my grandmother’s Ealing cronies – old ladies whom I have met in so many villages where I have gone to stay as a girl”. Christie also used material from her fictional creation, spinster Caroline Sheppard, who appeared in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.  When Michael Morton adapted Roger Ackroyd for the stage, he removed the character of Caroline replacing her with a young girl.  This change saddened Christie and she determined to give old maids a voice: Miss Marple was born. " 
(source: agathachristie.com and Wikipedia (image)

SERIOUSLY? They HAD to modernize and youth-a-size a literary legend? This was SO totally opposite of the reason the character was invented in the FIRST PLACE. They couldn't find any, oh I don't know, actresses over 50 to play her? GEE I can think of at least 7 off the top of my head who would be better, and more importantly, closer to AGE to Miss Marple....
The first time I saw Dame Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple, I was DELIGHTED- it was like seeing an old friend come to life. Joan Hickson then brought more nuance to her, and completed her, as far as I was concerned.

Why is it today's generation has to have NEW productions? WHY can't we as parents and older generations introduce them to the old books and movies? And say NO to these revamped to silliness movies? Seriously Agatha's stories are so perfect in complexity, nuance and story, they only help kids learn! Witness for the Prosecution and Ten Little Indians are brilliant movies and adaptations of Agatha's books, and should be seen by ALL while still in their formative years!

What's next Disney? Justin Bieber as Hercule Poirot? (sorry Bieber fans, just making my point)


And for the record, this will be one movie banned in our house!!!

Comments

  1. what an awesome blog! I absolutely love it and can`t wait to see more posts in the future! :)

    have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment