I distinctly remember looking at the black patent Mary Janes my mother had just bought me at the age of four and wondering how often I would be wearing them. They were church shoes, not my usual fare, and I wasn't sure how they would feel. I was never one to dress up on a whim, and I much preferred flip flops and sneakers to those shiny black things. "Aren't they pretty?" my mother asked. I nodded politely. They were pretty, after all, even if I didn't want to wear them. The older I got, of course, the more dressing up grew on me, and the more I realized how great shoes could really make or break an ensemble. I grew to appreciate Mary Janes and other dress shoes, in a million variations and colors.
Recently, while shopping for a gift for my niece, I was more than pleasantly surprised at the variety and array of Mary Janes available for tots. There are some really cool new choices out there. Not all are shiny and black, I'm pleased to say, and they're definitely worth taking a look at:
Fun Squeaks for Little Feet - Wee Squeaks makes an adorable, soft Mary Jane that squeaks when toddlers walk and are super cute to boot. Don't worry Mom, the squeaker can be taken out if you prefer quieter steps, but they really are a lot of fun for those just learning to keep their balance.
The Cutest Mary Janes You've Ever Seen - These little terry slippers feature big turquoise bows and fun zebra stripes; they're also amazingly soft to pamper tiny toes.
Sock It to Me - Darling socks for little toes that mimic the classic Mary Jane are not only a fun idea, but great for infants who aren't yet on their feet. These socks add all of the pretty look without the actual shoe.
Stretching the Boundaries - Socks aren't the only mock Mary Jane option, companies like Mud Pie make Mary Janes fun with stretch cotton tights that incorporate the look of the classic shoes into the foot of the accessory.
I should really thank my mother for her insistence on decent dress shoes, and the fact that, as slowly as appreciation for them took hold, it did indeed take hold. Little girls today have such a wide array of options to choose from. I envy them. (ME TOO! ) Moms, take heart. Those little dress shoes you buy today, may just plant a seed that will grow into a great love for shoes... one that she's bound to pass on one day, too. (My only regret is that Kiddo outgrows the REALLY cute ones too quickly!)
Ashley Justice enjoys fashion and loves sharing tips with parents. Ashley is freelance writer for My Baby Clothes dot com. They carry precious baby clothes and beautiful tutus with matching baby headbands.
Comments
Post a Comment