R.I.P. Salvatore Licitra

I was totally shocked to hear of the death Monday of Salvatore Licitra, the opera tenor. He died Monday at age 43 after spending nine days in a coma following a motor scooter accident in Sicily.


I have always adored Madame Butterfly, probably because it was the first opera I ever saw, but then after I stopped playing violin and flute, I strayed from opera. Then years later when I heard Licitra sing songs from Tosca and Turnadot, I was mesmorized, and brought back into the classical/opera fold! If you listed to his the Debut cd, you will realize what a great voice he had!



Licitra debuted in Milan in the 1998-1999 season, with maestro Riccardo Muti conducting him in Verdi's "La Forza del Destino." But it was on the stage of Metropolitan Opera in New York, that Licitra, the Swiss-born son of Sicilian parents, grabbed the world's attention. He subbed for mega-tenor Luciano Pavarotti in a gala performance in 2002 of Puccini's "Tosca," wowing the audience and winning long ovations for his two big arias. Licitra went on to fame, and was considered "Pavarotti's heir." He will be missed!

Comments

  1. I was sad to hear of his passing, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad. Motor scooters and motorcycles are so scary to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail