It's Red Ribbon Week!

red ribbon week banner

It's Red Ribbon Week (starting today)! 


DO you know what that means? Do you know the history behind it? let me fill you in!


History:
Enrique (Kiki) Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was tortured and killed in Mexico in 1985. 

In honor of Camarena's memory and his battle against illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear redbadges of satin. Parents, sick of the destruction of alcohol and other drugs, had begun forming coalitions. Some of these new coalitions took Camarena as their model, and embraced his belief that one person can make a difference. These coalitions also adopted the symbol of Camarena's memory, the red ribbon.

The National Family Partnership organized the first Nationwide Red Ribbon Campaign, and since that time has reached millions of U.S. children and families. The National Family Partnership (NFP) and its network of individuals, schools, law enforcement agencies and organizations continue to deliver his message of hope more than 80 million of people every year, through Red Ribbon Week (October 23-31), the nation's oldest and largest drug prevention campaign.

This Year:
This year's theme: IT'S UP TO ME TO BE DRUG FREE !

red ribbon week 2011 banner

What about YOUR family?

Will you and YOUR kids take the pledge this year?
You can do so online!

Then Tweet :

  • It's Red Ribbon Week and I am taking a stand against drugs. Join me. Take the pledge: www.redribbon.org/pledge. #RedRibbonWeek
  • Today, I'm joining teens, parents, teachers, and other citizens across America in celebrating Red Ribbon Week (October 23-31), the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation. #RedRibbonWeek
or Share on Facebook:
  • Today, I'm honoring Kiki Camarena, a DEA agent who died while fighting substance abuse. Join me in celebrating Red Ribbon Week 2011. Take the pledge:www.redribbon.org/pledge
  • I'm a parent who believes in a drug free future for my children. Join me in celebrating Red Ribbon Week (October 23-31). www.redribbon.org/pledge



Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this info, free of charge, from 
The Conroy Martinez Group, for posting purposes on this blog. No compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.

Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail