Book Review: I Didn't Ask to Be Born by Bill Cosby

I feel like I'm going down memory lane today, or at least back to High School! First we have Bill, and then later today Billy Joel! Yup, 2 of the icons from my high school years! And both still going strong in their professions- something to be learned there for sure!


I Didn't Ask to Be Born  cover


I grew up with Bill Cosby- from Saturday Morning cartoons (Fat Albert), to comedy albums (the bit about Noah is still my fav recording!), to seeing him perform comedy, to the Bill Cosby show, to his books. Dad loved him and he was part of our family culture as long as I can remember! So when I was asked about reviewing this book it was definite YES!


Synopsis
I Didn't Ask to Be Born  synopsis


Review: I'm not sure which story was my favorite in this book- The Missing Pages(about things left out of the Bible or Raise Your Tail (about his grandon's addiction to all things Godzilla). Dad read it and said The Missing Pages for sure! In each story you will find yourself picturing Bill telling you the story in person, and laughing hysterically (such as picturing Adam sitting the the Garden of Eden naming ALL the animals-how did he figure out what to name them, if they had never been? Did he fall asleep? There had to be about 50,000 animals, how'd he come up with the names?). When he gets to how all male/female problems in marriage originate from those of Adam and Eve, you'll need some tissure, you'll be laughing so hard.

Every parent will be able to relate to his grandson demanding a Godzilla dvd and not knowing that it's the same one he already has, but in a different cover and him screaming NO and alot of begging and increasing decibles and trying to get him to look at him, and the child's brain freezing because Bill is repeating the same thing over and over. Oh yeah, we've BEEN there! Or his description as the Cabbage Patch doll craze as the first mass social media event, will have you nodding your head and wondering WHERE is your doll that Mom fought and screamed for!

Here's Bill on the book:



The stories are punctuated with cute little drawings by George Booth, that perfectly match the story and Bill's style of humor! The book is a very quick read, but is also perfect for reading one vignette/chapter at a time! This is definitely a must buy for those on your Christmas list, who appreciate Bill's humor!

bill cosby bio


Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this book, free of charge, from Center Street Imprint, a division of 
Hachette Publications, for review purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.


Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail