Guest Post: Imagining Lucky by Deborah Coonts

Ya'll know we love Deborah and her great mystery books, with a female protagonist like no other, Lucky! Here's a great guest post for you to help you understand how Lucky came to be!



Imagining Lucky
By Deborah Coonts,
Author of Lucky Stiff

For a long time I wasn't really sure where the protagonist of my funny, sexy, Vegas-based novel series came from. Lucky simply arrived one day while I was sitting on the deck and the Grand Lake Lodge, perched on my shoulder, and began telling me her story. At the time, I was certain I had crossed over that delicate bridge that spans the gap between a borderline personality disorder and full-blown schizophrenia. Now I'm sure.

But, I guess it could've been worse. I mean, instead of being a young woman climbing the corporate ladder at the Babylon, Las Vegas' most over-the-top Strip casino, Lucky could've been a crack addict determined to get her bad on. Or worse, she could've had a chip on her shoulder and a mile-wide homicidal streak. But, thankfully, she's just a gal who's kick-ass competent at work, but whose personal life -- especially her love life -- is in a constant state of turmoil. With a brothel-owning mother, a lover who makes his way in the world dressed in Channel (or Bob Mackie) and channeling Cher and Bette Midler, to name a few, and a hotel full guests whose problems are as varied as snowflakes, who's to blame her if her life is a bit . . . chaotic?

But, I always sorta wondered where Lucky came from before she moved into my brain and made herself at home. When my aunt (who is my sister but for an odd quirk of bloodline) read the manuscript of WANNA GET LUCKY? she gave me one of those omniscient looks that older siblings become so good at, and commented, "Lucky's the woman you always wanted to be."

Wow. Insightful. Was she right?

Perhaps, in some ways Lucky embodies traits I find admirable. In other ways, Lucky is who I am -- we have the same sense of humor, although she's much more quick-witted than I am, and we share the same fundamentals, I think. But Lucky is bigger than all of that.
When I sat down to write a story set in my adopted hometown of Las Vegas, I wanted the city to be not only the setting, but a character as well. And, how better to do that than to imbue my protagonist with characteristics and attitudes that weave the magic I identify with Las Vegas?

The whole state of Nevada has this whole live-and-let-live thing going on and nowhere is it better displayed than Sin City. Vegas is a very nonjudgmental place -- folks come from far and wide to chase their dreams. And Vegas not only welcomes all these square pegs, the city embraces them. Lucky is the same -- and to me her acceptance is her best thing. So, when she's presented with porn stars losing their sparkle, swingers being blackmailed, gamblers losing their nerve, Hollywood royalty with huge secrets, an aging fighter with sixteen children and faltering reflexes, or an old woman, alone and afraid who wants to marry her . . . well, you get my drift. Lucky handles them all with warmth, and heartfelt diplomacy.

Although, when it comes to her mother . . . all bets are off.

© 2011 Deborah Coonts, author of The Lucky O'Toole Vegas adventure series

Author Bio
Deborah Coonts, author of Lucky Stiff, says her mother tells her she was born in Texas a very long time ago, though she's not totally sure -- her mother can't be trusted. But she was definitely raised in Texas on barbeque, Mexican food and beer. She currently resides in Las Vegas, where family and friends tell her she can't get into too much trouble. Silly people. Coonts has built her own business, practiced law, flown airplanes, written a humor column for a national magazine, and survived a teenager. She is the author of the Lucky O'Toole Las Vegas adventure series.

Her first book, Wanna Get Lucky?, was released in 2010.
For more information please visit http://www.deborahcoonts.com, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter

Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail