Recipe Weekend /Product Review: Skillet Bacon Jam and Leftover Turkey Corn Chowder


skillet bacon jam
WHAT in the world? I know you're all thinking I've lost my mind.


That is unless you have tried Skillet Bacon Jam spread, aka cooking crack!


What it is is: Really, really good bacon, that has been rendered down, the a bunch of spices, onions, vinegar, and secret stuff added, then simmered for about 6 hours, given a quick puree, a chilly blast to seal it and waa-la=pure bacon heaven. And No Nitrite or Nitrates added!


Admit it- that description got you a little curious, right? It did me too, so when the opportunity came up, I asked to review it and got send a sample bottle. First things first, we opened it and Kiddo and I both said, mmmmmmm. Then we tasted it and said "BACON!"
Ok, so far so good! Well it just happened that it arrived JUST as I was trying to decide what to do with the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. As there was just 4 1/2 of us, we had a small turkey and not much meat left over by the time 2 rounds of sandwich making had gone by. I really couldn't deal with potpie (our standard next day fare), so thought about it and had decided on turkey enchilada soup before the arrival of the mail. 


Once I smelled the Skillet Bacon Jam, I KNEW I had to use it, however. Then I discovered no enchilada sauce, and that sorta sealed it. Back to square one and my immediate thought was onion/bacon and smoked turkey= corn and turkey chowder! Don't ask how my brain works- there are times when I have a Yankee mindset (thanks Grandma) and winter sets it into hyperdrive (I want SNOW, chowders, sledding, and coffee by the fire). First thing it goes to? Corn and potato chowder- you can add ANY meat and wham, you've got a full meal in a bowl!


So off I went to snag the ingredients from the fridge and pantry. Next to the sour cream, I see the cooking creme, Southwest Flavor, and the brain goes into warp speed- hey, I can combine ALL of the above- yippee skippee. So off I go, looking like a mad scientist, cackling with glee!  What was the result you ask? NO leftovers for one. Secondly, it was GOOD. The Skillet Bacon Jam was the perfect addition, in fact, I would say BETTER than had I used regular bacon (which I was out of as well)...


Here's the recipe, and then I'll tell ya more:


Southwest Inspired Smoked Turkey, Corn and Potato Chowder


Southwest Inspired Smoked Turkey, Corn and Potato Chowder
(serves 6-7, if you're lucky)


Ingredients:
Leftover turkey (or ham or chicken)- I had about 1 1/4 cps, maybe
2 potatoes, diced (or you can use cubed frozen hash browns)
2-3 tbsp Skillet Bacon Jam
1/4-1/2 tbsp butter
1 can corn, drained
1 can creamed corn (not drained)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soupcan of milk (how I measured it, since I had the can handy, ha ha)
1/2 container Cooking Creme, Southwest Flavor
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 cp sour cream


Instructions:
1. In dutch oven size pot, add potatoes, meat, and butter. As I had not fried the bacon in the pan, I used more butter. Had I fried bacon, I would have used 1/2, as the pan would have had some of the grease still on it. Cook about 8-10 minutes, stirring.
2. Add soup, milk, corn, salt, pepper and creme. Stir. If too thick, you may want to add a touch more milk. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, simmer about 10-15 minutes, then add sour cream. You can also add the remaining Bacon Skillet Jam, if you want the additional bacon flavor. We did.
4. Simmer for another 10-15, til potatoes are tender.
5. Serve with rolls, crackers or cornbread. The creme gives it a good spicy flavor, but the macho guys might like some hot sauce added to the top. You can also dollop with more sour cream, if you'd like.
6. IF you happen to have some of mom's crawfish cornbread stuffing left, heat up some in a bowl, then ladle the chowder on top to serve. BEYOND GOOD!
7. Enjoy the praise......


Hungry yet? 


Now more about the wonders of Skillet Bacon Jam! 


You DO have to refrigerate after opening. But seriously, once you start cooking with it, it isn't gonna last long, so you don't have to worry about how long it will last! Besides the original flavor, it comes in Skillet Fennel & Black Pepper flavor too! You can check out the Skillet website for more yummy recipes too!


Skillet began as a street food truck fleet in Seattle, and they recently opened a diner there as well!  When everyone kept asking for the bacon crack, aka Skillet Bacon Jam, Josh Henderson knew it needed to be bottled and sold (after all he'd spent 4 years perfecting his condiment!). And selling it is! Once you try it, you are hooked! It is SO easy to have it on hand in the fridge and a savory bacon flavor to whatever you are cooking, without having to cook up a batch of bacon. HUGE time savor, yet your food will not know the difference, nor will those eating it! I know your're gonna say whoa, that much and you don't even get 16oz. but trust me- a little goes a long way and it is beyond YUMMY!


You can buy the Skillet Bacon Jam on the Skillet website, on Amazon, or by direct email (for inquiries (eat@skilletstreetfood.com).


Rumor has it that there is a collaboration with Maker’s Mark for this Christmas, with a bourbon-apple version. If that's not Southern Crack, I don't know what is. And yes, I'll be buying a bunch to keep and give as gifts, that will be me knocking you over in line to get at it! 


So go check it out, save yourself some time in the kitchen and find your food calling!




Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this product for review purposes, free of charge, from Skillet, via Tomosson.com! No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it. 


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail