I missed this book when it came out in hardback, so I was quite happy to review the paperback copy, that is being released on the 20th! For those that did, the cover has changed (I liks it better myself), but it's the same book!
Synopsis: After the unexpected death of her parents, painfully shy and sheltered 26-year-old Ginny Selvaggio seeks comfort in cooking from family recipes. But the rich, peppery scent of her Nonna’s soup draws an unexpected visitor into the kitchen: the ghost of Nonna herself, dead for twenty years, who appears with a cryptic warning (“do no let her…”) before vanishing like steam from a cooling dish.
Review: This is the author's first novel, and I think her time blogging paid off handsomely! If you have siblings there will be alot in this novel you will be able to relate to- perceived parent favortism, sibling protection, and sibling bickering, to name a few. The mix of recipes (included in the chapters), helps to move the book, as they set the stage in ways that sometimes words can not. Southerns know this language, it's why food is such a key part in our family traditions and customs.
Synopsis: After the unexpected death of her parents, painfully shy and sheltered 26-year-old Ginny Selvaggio seeks comfort in cooking from family recipes. But the rich, peppery scent of her Nonna’s soup draws an unexpected visitor into the kitchen: the ghost of Nonna herself, dead for twenty years, who appears with a cryptic warning (“do no let her…”) before vanishing like steam from a cooling dish.
A haunted kitchen isn’t Ginny’s only challenge. Her domineering sister, Amanda, (aka “Demanda”) insists on selling their parents’ house, the only home Ginny has ever known. As she packs up her parents’ belongings, Ginny finds evidence of family secrets she isn’t sure how to unravel. She knows how to turn milk into cheese and cream into butter, but she doesn’t know why her mother hid a letter in the bedroom chimney, or the identity of the woman in her father’s photographs. The more she learns, the more she realizes the keys to these riddles lie with the dead, and there’s only one way to get answers: cook from dead people’s recipes, raise their ghosts, and ask them.
About the Author: Jael McHenry is a talented and enthusiastic amateur cook who grew up in Michigan and Iowa before moving from city to city along the East Coast: Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and now New York, where she blogs about food and cooking at the Simmer blog, http://simmerblog.com. She is a monthly pop culture columnist and Editor-in-Chief of Intrepid Media, online at intrepidmedia.com. As a tidbit of info: in her senior year at Tufts University she appeared as a semi-finalist on the "Jeopardy!" College Championship, where she made a killing in consolation prizes. LOL.
Review: This is the author's first novel, and I think her time blogging paid off handsomely! If you have siblings there will be alot in this novel you will be able to relate to- perceived parent favortism, sibling protection, and sibling bickering, to name a few. The mix of recipes (included in the chapters), helps to move the book, as they set the stage in ways that sometimes words can not. Southerns know this language, it's why food is such a key part in our family traditions and customs.
The dialogue in the book makes up for any story structure faults(there are just a few), and the story of discovery that emerges gives us hope, and understanding that while they may not be to our liking, facing fears is really a way of letting go of the past and breaking free to be ourselves. This was an enjoyable book and it would be a great gift idea, packages with the ingredients for any of the wonderful recipes in the book! It would be a thoughtful hostess gift for example! I highly recommend it as a great winter read!
Disclosure / Disclaimer: I was sent this book, for review purposes, free of charge, from Gallery Books. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post it about either.

Baking with my grandmother in the kitchen during the long, cold winters which we had where I lived. We would make strudel, apple cake and brownies. What a wonderful welcome to come home to that house. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteOhhh, how interesting this sounds! We lived in my grandparents house and had such a small kitchen when I was small and it was an "L" shape, only about 3 feet of walking space between the cupboards and sink. We not only had to use the kitchen for cooking, but until my Mom had a shower installed in the basement, we had to use the kitchen for our baths also.
ReplyDeletewfnren at aol dot com
wrensthoughts.blogspot.com
Wishing Penny
ReplyDeleteDiamond Candles Campaign Announcement -- Call for Bloggers
wfnren at aol dot com
wrensthoughts.blogspot.com
Posted the giveaway on my blog at:
ReplyDeletehttp://wrensthoughts.blogspot.com/p/contests-and-giveaways-good-luck.html
wfnren at aol dot com
wrensthoughts.blogspot.com
This one sounds really great. I'd love to be entered to win.
ReplyDeletemlawson17 at hotmail dot com
My mom made the best fried chicken in the world. I can't remember too many things she cooked us but I loved her fried chicken. I can still smell it cooking and crackling in the pan.(In my mind only)
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
Leslie love veggies has a RIDEMAKERZ Francisco Bernoulli Deluxe Kit Rafflecopter Giveaway
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
I loved using my Betty Crocker Kid's Cookbook to make neat things for my family!
ReplyDeleteNancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com
I follow via GFC: allibrary.
ReplyDeleteNancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com
I am an email subscriber.
ReplyDeleteNancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com
My favorite Kitchen Memory is probaby cooking with my Grandma in HER kitchen (my mom was not much of a cook LOL) and being loved :) My Grandma was all about her grandkids :) She loved to make cookies, candy, or even just sandwiches with me. And I loved to cook, alot of what I know I learned from her.
ReplyDeletetracyschultz@yahoo.com
My favorite Kitchen Memory is when I was about five years old and sitting in my Italian grandmother's kitchen and watching her cook for me.
ReplyDeletejanetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
I follow you on GFC - janetfaye
ReplyDeletejanetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
I follow you on NB - Janet Fri
ReplyDeletejanetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
I always loved helping my mom bake, especially brownies :)
ReplyDeletesblake1[at]student[dot]framingham[dot]edu
My grandma humming as she cooked!
ReplyDeleteA world of crafts-Monday linky party #9
ReplyDeleteHelping my mom bake her fruit cakes at Christmas. I hate the taste of them but I loved helping her!
ReplyDeletemy Mother and Grandmother making lefse and sugar cookies at Christmas time
ReplyDeletetiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
Baking cookies is a favorite memory.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite memory is when my mom was teaching me how to make her special icing for the cake we had just made together.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good book. One of my fave memories is when I was mixing ingredients for a cheesecake and it went all over the walls. Thanks.
ReplyDeletepartymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com
Making my first cake from scratch. It was with mmy Mom. Haven't done it since - but now my kids go and create in the kitchen. coreybrennan26@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteThis is a heart warming tale of family, grieving, and food told through the eyes of someone who sees everything a little bit differently. I will definitely be seeking out Jael McHenry's work again, even if her next book is not food related, because she has a talent for bringing a story to life.
ReplyDelete