Book Review and Giveaway: The Flately Enigma by Viktor Arnar Ingolfsson, Translated by Brian FitzGibbon
As you know, I love history and the lure of foreign books that have been translated, so it should be no surprise that I grabbed this book, a specially translated version for the Amazon Vine Program!
Synopsis: When bodies start turning up in a sleepy island village, the code put forward in the ancient Book of Flatey must be resolved to find the killer.
In the spring of 1960 three men accidentally discover a decaying body on a deserted island, later identified as the body of a Danish codicologist who had been missing for several months. An investigation ensues and the case is mysteriously linked to the contents of a medieval manuscript known as the Book of Flatey. Before long another body is found in Flatey, but this time an eagle has been carved into the victim's back in blood, in the ancient Viking tradition.
About the Translator: Playwright Brian FitzGibbon has a particular passion for the translation of fiction. With experience that spans over twenty years, he has translated a vast array of film scripts, treatments, stage plays, and novels, working exclusively into English from Italian, French, and Icelandic. FitzGibbon resides in Reykjavik.
Disclosure / Disclaimer: I was sent this book, free of charge, for review purposes, from Amazon Vine Review Program. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.
Synopsis: When bodies start turning up in a sleepy island village, the code put forward in the ancient Book of Flatey must be resolved to find the killer.
In the spring of 1960 three men accidentally discover a decaying body on a deserted island, later identified as the body of a Danish codicologist who had been missing for several months. An investigation ensues and the case is mysteriously linked to the contents of a medieval manuscript known as the Book of Flatey. Before long another body is found in Flatey, but this time an eagle has been carved into the victim's back in blood, in the ancient Viking tradition.
About the Author: Viktor Arnar Ingolfsson is one of Iceland’s most accomplished crime fiction authors. His novel House of Evidence was nominated for the Glass Key—the Nordic Crime Novel Award—in 2001 and The Flatey Enigma—a bestseller for weeks in Germany—was nominated for the same prize in 2004. In addition to having a successful career as a writer, he continues to work full-time in civil engineering at the Public Roads Administration in Iceland.
About the Translator: Playwright Brian FitzGibbon has a particular passion for the translation of fiction. With experience that spans over twenty years, he has translated a vast array of film scripts, treatments, stage plays, and novels, working exclusively into English from Italian, French, and Icelandic. FitzGibbon resides in Reykjavik.
Review: Nordic mythology is in a whole realm of it's own, and I greatly admire any author who would take it on and make it a center for a modern day (well, 60s/70s) mystery! I wasn't sure how it was going to be reading the book, as at the end of each chapter, the author had a bit of the mythology, and an answer to the questions that made up the Enigma puzzle. But after a few chapters in, I realized the modern story was interwoven in the clues, in a really intricate way, that made the story very interesting.
I found myself not wanting to put the book down, the characters and Icelandic territory were so well defined and described! In fact, I ended up finishing the book in 3 sittings, only because I slowed down and paid attention- there is SO much detail in the nuances of the story. Some of the scenes may be disturbing to some readers, as the author is graphic in telling seal hunting and slaying. AND before you go PETA on me, this was very allowable in this time period in Iceland, and they make use of everything, so it logical. I found myself wanting to race ahead to finish the who-dun-it, but knowing the pleasure of the read was waiting for the end. Agatha would be proud of Viktor- this is a tightly wrapped layered mystery! I highly recommend this story!
I found myself not wanting to put the book down, the characters and Icelandic territory were so well defined and described! In fact, I ended up finishing the book in 3 sittings, only because I slowed down and paid attention- there is SO much detail in the nuances of the story. Some of the scenes may be disturbing to some readers, as the author is graphic in telling seal hunting and slaying. AND before you go PETA on me, this was very allowable in this time period in Iceland, and they make use of everything, so it logical. I found myself wanting to race ahead to finish the who-dun-it, but knowing the pleasure of the read was waiting for the end. Agatha would be proud of Viktor- this is a tightly wrapped layered mystery! I highly recommend this story!
Ready to win this one for yourself?
Disclosure / Disclaimer: I was sent this book, free of charge, for review purposes, from Amazon Vine Review Program. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.

Leslie Loves Veggies has The Inspired Vegan Cookbook Rafflecopter Giveaway
ReplyDeletelkish77123 at gmail dot com
A Mommy's Blog Design Studio posted, Android App Available! Coming Soon to Apple & Windows. Posted on Feb.12th.
ReplyDeleteayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net