Guest Post: Eight Household Tips from Grandma

Since we're on the topic of grandmas today, I thought this offered guest post would be appropriate!

socks

Eight Household Tips from Grandma

During a family dinner last weekend, I told our little group about an organizational tip that I had read about recently: put your sheet sets within one of the pillowcases. This keeps everything together. Brilliant, right? Why have I been struggling to find that perpetually missing pillowcase when I change the linens? I could have been easily sliding the sheet set right inside the pillowcase after I fold them and everything stays accounted for! 


My grandmother who raised 9 girls started chuckling. “Oh honey, I’ve been doing that since the girls were small!” So after the shock that Grandma had kept this valuable secret to herself wore off-I plied her for more tidbits of clever household tips. Put on the spot nothing came to mind, but the next week I received a phone call.


Grandma had gone about the days since our dinner doing her housework and when she stopped to think of it, she jotted ideas down for me! Here are some of the tricks my Grandmother shared from her years of experience:
  1. When you lose an earring but you have a vague idea of which part of the room it is in, cover your vacuum hose with a nylon and secure tightly with a rubber band. “No sense crawling around on your knees looking for something small as a potato bug”.
  2. “Don’t let your shopping bags go every which way under your sink”. Put them in an empty tissue box.
  3. Cut your green Scotch-Brite pads in half. You really only use half of them when you are scrubbing and this way you can grab a new one at the point they start smelling funny.
  4. If you have a pesky zipper, rub it with a bar of soap and it should slide like new.
  5. Keep a pair of rubber dish gloves handy. They are great for opening stubborn lids.
  6. Wash and cut up everything you will need for a crockpot dinner. Put it in a gallon size Ziplock bag and freeze it. If you know you will be having one of those crazy days, you will be ready for it... at least when it comes to dinner.
  7. Stick wadded up newspapers in your vegetable crisper. They make your veggies stay crisp longer and keep your fruit from getting banged up!
  8. Safety pin your socks together before you put them in the wash. “That way there will be no deserters.” And she assured me that this tip was one of the most important when raising kids!



How about YOU? Do you have any favorite types from your Mom or Grandma?




Brought to you by mybabyclothes.com, where you can find the prettiest baby tutus, trendiest baby clothes and most stylish baby hats for your little one.

Comments

  1. Oooo - the tip about using 1/2 Scotch Brite pad is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sheets in the pillowcase idea. The rest of the ideas are fabulous also! Thanks for all of the tips Grandma! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment