Guest Post: Fussing Over Fashion by Gillian Eberhart

 girls in dresses

Fussing Over Fashion


Gone are the days of shopping alone and picking out outfits that I find adorable and bringing them home to an adorable little toddler to ooh and aah over. My sweet toddler has turned into a fabulous kid, but with all that fabulousness comes her opinions on fashion. Needless to say we don’t often see eye to eye.


I am learning through experience that we must first set boundaries as to what is acceptable apparel. 


I have to explain ahead of time that just because they sell a low cut skimpy top in the store, doesn’t mean it is acceptable or appropriate. I let her choose what she likes, but I get the ultimate veto power. This way she is choosing, but not without necessary boundaries. I have learned to choose my battles and as long as it isn’t breaking my modesty rules, it is ok. I must admit this has not been an easy task to swallow. I don’t always like the choices she makes and they are not what I would choose, but it is allowing her to express her personality and make decisions for herself. Plus, there is no fighting in the mornings because she has chosen pieces she loves.


Of course there will be times that you as a parent will need to pick what your child is wearing such as a special event. In these times, just let your child know ahead of time what will be worn so any arguing will be over by the time to wear it comes. I have done this with my daughter for such things as a funeral, a wedding, and a Christmas picture. Without throwing it on her at the last minute prevented the explosive arguing and made for a much more peaceful day.


Clothes shopping for your kids can be a fun yet daunting task. Have fun letting your children pick out what they like as long as they fit within your guidelines.




By Gillian Eberhart of mybabyclothes.com. Have fun shopping for the most up to date styles in baby clothes, baby tutus and baby hats this Spring.

Comments

Post a Comment