Book Review: The Sons of Jude by Brandt Dodson

BTHM WTFY 2012 button


Dad grabbed this book when it came in and had it finished in only days,
so you know it's a good book!
 Read on for his review!


book blog tour button

SynopsisThe body of a young woman is found in a dumpster in Chicago and detectives Andy Polanski and Frank Campello are charged with finding the killer. The two are polar opposites. Polanski is the son of a disgraced Chicago police officer and is fastidious about his reputation. He has also recently been transferred from another district having blown the whistle on some corrupt cops. Campello, however, takes a live-and-let-live approach to his life and job.


It soon becomes clear, as another young woman--a potential witness--is murdered, that a sex-trafficking operation in Chicago is preying on illegal aliens. As the ill-matched pair dig deeper, an influential alderman and his son are implicated. Then Polanski is framed for a narcotics offense, a payback for bringing cases against the corrupt officers and the alderman? Only when Campello is challenged by a local minister, whom he meets when visiting Polanski, does he find the motivation to seek justice.

Check out the tour page for an excerpt!



Review: Brandt Dodson’s newest book “The Sons of Jude” is a completely spell bounding crime/mystery novel. The main character, “Frank Campello”, is a 20 year veteran of the Chicago PD. He sprung from a father also a Chicago PD veteran and takes his job very seriously. As we meet Frank we find out that his partner had been killed by a drug pusher when they were trying to server a warrant on him. Frank was able to take out the assailant before the bad guy could get a shot at him. We find him now back at work after a short time off. Frank is in the 28th district and soon will find out another detective from the 31st district will be his new partner. Only this new detective comes with some baggage.

You see Andy Polanski turned on two other cops in his previous district for questionable actions. All the other cops feel along with Frank that Andy is a turncoat. Frank doesn’t like having Andy for a partner and tries to get rid of him. On their first day together they are assigned to investigate the murder of a young woman found in a trash dumpster on the “Navy Pier” on the lakefront. As they begin to work on this case they soon find out she was friends with another young girl that will also be murdered. Both, they are sure, know things they shouldn’t have.

As time goes by on the investigation they soon find out, and this will be a shocker, “Organized Crime” may be a part of these murders. Many characters will come to life in this novel, a long time City Alderman and his son, a crime boss and his “Enforcer”, a female newspaper reporter, and other girls that worked in a strip club, along with many other detectives some good some not so good. An attempt on Frank’s life changed the way he saw his new partner Andy, when Andy saved his life. You see how Frank and Andy work together after this shooting and become good friends.

An extremely well written novel, you can’t help but notice that Brandt knows police work and how things are done. He uses his experience as an FBI agent and resident of Chicago for many years to put this exciting fast paced story into high gear. You will find yourself not wanting to put this book down as I did. I highly recommend this novel to everyone that enjoys an excellent crime/mystery. On a scale of 1 to 10,  I would rate it a 12.  


About the Author Brandt Dodson comes from a long line of police officers dating back more than seventy years on both sides of his family. He was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana, which he would later choose as the setting for his Colton Parker Mystery series. In addition, he was employed with the Indianapolis office of the FBI. He has lived in Chicago and travels to the city annually.  Visit his website at www.BrandtDodson.com. for more.

flourish

And some info from the author on writing:

Although he discovered in grade school that he wanted to be a writer, it would be another twenty-one years before he would put pen to paper.“I knew in fifth grade that I wanted to be a writer. Our teacher had given each of us a photograph which we were to use as inspiration for a short story. The particular photo I was given was of several young men playing handball in New York City. I don’t remember all of the particulars of the story now, but I do remember the thrill that writing it gave me.”
Later, while in college, one of Brandt’s professors would echo that teacher’s comment.
“But life intervened and I found myself working at a variety of jobs. I worked in the toy department of a local department store and fried chicken for a local fast food outlet. Over the course of the next several years I finished my college degree and worked for the Indianapolis office of the FBI, and served for eight years as a Naval Officer in the United States Naval Reserve. I also obtained my doctorate in Podiatric Medicine, and after completion of my surgical residency, opened my own practice. But I never forgot my first love. I wanted to write.”
During his early years in practice, Brandt began reading the work of Dean Koontz.
“I discovered Dean’s book, The Bad Place, and was completely blown away by his craftsmanship. I read something like 13 or 14 of his back list over the following two weeks. It wasn’t long after that I began to write and submit in earnest.”
Still, it would be another twelve years before Brandt was able to secure the publishing contract he so desperately desired.
“I began by writing the type of fiction that I enjoyed; I wrote edgy crime thrillers that were laced with liberal amounts of suspense. Over the years, I’ve begun to write increasingly more complex work by using broader canvases and themes.
Since securing his first contract, Brandt has continued to pen the type of stories that inspired him to write when he was a boy, and that have entertained his legions of readers.
“I love to write, and as long as others love to read, I plan on being around for a long time to come.”
flourish

Want to win a  Kindle Fire HD?

Dodson is giving one away! Just click here for the Rafflecopter form!

And how about a reduced price Kindle copy of the book?

sons of jude kindle logo
http://www.amazon.com/The-Sons-of-Jude-ebook/dp/B009P1EZQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1349967676&sr=1-1&keywords=sons+of+jude




Disclosure / Disclaimer:  I received this book from Kregel Publishing, free of charge, for review purposes. 
No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.

Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail