Having watched the Genetic Roulette video, I was pretty much 'label conscious' during the past 48 hours, so when I went to make an iced frappe (with my rain forest alliance coffee and certified almond milk), I realized the chocolate sauce I was about to use was full of chemicals.....
ARGH.....
SO I found it and got to work, it's:
time!
The ingredients are:
1 1/2 cup Water - I used 3/4 cp of coffee, 3/4 cp water for a java flavor
1 1/2 cup Sugar - as I was using a high quality of cocoa, I split the sugar 1/2 regular, 1/2 brown sugar
1 cup Cocoa Powder- I used Scharffer Berger, as I just had a cup left!
1/8 tsp Salt- I used sea salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Now look at the ingredients I found in a certain ice cream syrup that has been around forever:
And from a similar version, different company:
Notice anything?
High Fructose CORN syrup (GMO anyone?) and CORN (GMO?) syrup are the first TWO ingredients. More syrup, more corn, a THICKENER-Xantram Gum and potassium sorbate and ALL that besides being unhealthy for you, also leads to MORE calories, and MORE Sugars, and who knows how much GMO.
Which one would YOU rather serve YOUR family? Right!
Even the directions are simple!
1. In a medium saucepan heat the water, sugar, cocoa powder and salt on med-low whisking continuously until it gets thick about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla and pour into a mason jar.
As you can see, a LARGE jar is over halfway full!
How does it look close up?
(sorry, couldn't get a decent pix without the flash for some reason)
How does it taste?
AMAZING!
You do NOT need 2 tablespoons! ONLY one is enough, as it is richer,
tastier and just flat our yummier than the can!
AND it keeps for up to a month in fridge, and makes about 2 cups,
so it's just about right for a family size container!.
Each Tablespoon has of this new syrup has 42g Calories, 0g fat, and 11g carbs.
You can't beat that!
So this one is definitely a NO FAIL!
Try it today- you'll be WOWED!




Yummy! Isn't it amazing how many products still contain HFCS?!!
ReplyDeleteYou know what is strange....after a while you may find yourself not needing to add sweetener to anything! Yeah, I am weird, but honestly, I used to have the worst sweet-tooth of anyone I knew. And now I even enjoy unsweetened baking chocolate. :)
Sorry for getting off topic, just thought I'd share that tidbit of info. lol
Thanks for the interesting post!
Deborah
Debora
DeleteIt is so true-when I stopped drinking soda, my sweet tooth just about went totally away! Now I don't like anything too sweet!
thanks for sharing this - YUM!
ReplyDeleteAlso, congrats on being featured as the Featured Blogger on Smiley 360! Yay!
thanks Yona!
DeleteI was thrilled to be asked!