History Corner: Book Review and Giveaway- Death on the Lindisfarne by Faye Sampson

Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this book, free of charge, from the Kregel Communications, for review purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it

Death on the Lindisfarne cover


Synopsis:
Grieving the loss of wife and mother, Aidan and Melangell visit the renowned spiritual retreat center on the British island of Lindisfarne so Aidan can share with bright eight-year-old Melangell one of the places that inspired Jenny to write her books.

There they meet up with Jenny's friend Lucy, a Methodist minister, who is teaching a course on the local Northumbrian saints. Lucy has brought Rachel, a troubled teenager, to the Holy Island in hopes that the remoteness and peace of the location will help her.

But when Rachel is found dead on the beach, everyone on the island is under suspicion. As investigators and Rachel's "friends" come to the island, Aidan and Lucy learn more about Rachel, and Lucy's past as a policewoman is revealed.

And so Aidan is drawn into his second mystery. Masterfully told by award-winning author Fay Sampson, Death on Lindisfarne explores the complicated motivations of fallen people against the backdrop of ancient holiness.

Check out the video clip:





Review: I loved loved loved this book! Course you know me- I LOVE history, so it should not have been a surprise! I had not remembered much about the church history, but the info in the book was a great primer! Plus the mystery is quite a good page turner, and will keep you guessing as more and more info comes to light. It is also the story of relationships- how we think we know someone and don't, how a parent and child grieve differently and how the unexpected can sometimes be the best turn of events! I was actually surprised to find myself at the end, as the book is just that good! I can't wait to read The Hunted Hare , which is the prequel to this book!

About the Author: Fay Sampson is a widely published author with a particular interest in fantasy and Celtic history. She has been shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize on three occasions and is a winner of the Barco de Vapor award.


Ready to win this review copy?

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Thanks for reading this post and entering the giveaway!



Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail