5 Days of Homeschool Encouragement : Friday Favorites- The 5 Favorite Freedoms of Homeschool!


Welcome to our stop on the 2018 Back to School Crew Blog Hop today!

Back to School Crew Blog Hop button

Today is the last day of the Back to School Hop!

As we start off on our first year of Middle School, we've had a few weeks to ponder over the Summer break, about WHY we homeschool, the benefits of it, and why we talk so much about it!

hearts

So I could bore you with our favorite texts and curriculum, but I think WHY we love it so much, is oh so more important! And as FREEDom is such a big part of that, I thought I'd share the 5 Favorite Freedoms we love about homeschooling!


child with globe

1. FREEDOM OF STYLE

I could say it's the freedom to teach from whichever book I choose, but rather it's the freedom to plan a curriculum around MY child's likes and needs. Is she more of a visual learner? Yes, so ok, we may need more documentaries and picture books to show her, and ebooks are a must for a dyslexic reader! Written tests? No, she prefers to old fashion oral board types! Hard for a parent to say no to that! Written book reports? Nope, oral presentations and dramatics take the day! 

calendar

2. FREEDOM OF SCHEDULE

With homeschooling we are not tied into getting up at 6am, getting her off to school at 720 and then having to work on homework for hours when she returns from school. Miss Grace has NEVER been a morning person. This was a benefit to me, when she was a baby, as I could come home from night shift,  and she would still be asleep and I could get at least 4 hours of sleep! Now as a tween, she is back on that schedule and our days NEVER start until 10 at the earliest! Plus with using a loop schedule, we can take days off when something special comes up, or if neither of us feels like a regimented day! Rather, we can let interests lead us in at-hand learning! If she needs to work on algebraic equestions for 3 weeks, versus 1, then that's what the schedule changed to! Need to stay on a certin part of history for an extra week, as she went off on a lot of rabbit trails of learning? Ok, we can do that do!

nurse

3. FREEDOM TO LEARN BY DOING

We also call this at-hand learning, as it frequently dalls on spur of the moment, "let's go do something different today" moments! So often we get caught up in everything that kids HAVE to learn (reading, writing, arithmetic, etc) that we sometimes forget about life skills! That is why some colleges are having to offer classes if basic survival skills for adults, for Freshmen-things like how to do laundry, pay bills, etc. But by having Miss Grace with my while I run errands, she learns life skills, like budgeting, and along the way some critical reasoning and math skills. Watching a nurse at the doctor's office, she sees what math and science skills are needed for that job. And you'd be surprised at how expansive answers can be, when your kids ask questions, even to letting your child try something! These hand-on skills can only be learned in place.

girl in museum

4. FREEDOM OF PLACE

Just as at-hand learning takes place AWAY from home, so can regular learning! We are blessed to have many museums, exhibits, festivals and learning centers in our geographical area. Many of them hold special days for homeschoolers, but we like to go on off days. These days Miss Grace can explore more leisurely- if she wants to sit and take in a painting for 15 minutes, then she can. If she wants to ask the docents questions upon questions, they are always patient and enjot sharing their knowledge. And frequently they will share tidbits that are not spoken about on 'normal' tours of field trips. And if we want to go to the park on a beautiful fall day, and do all the day's work among God's wonders, then so be it!

playing games

5. FREEDOM OF SOCIALIZATION

I know this last one may make quite a few eyebrows go up, as 'socialization' is such a hot topic when it comes to homeschooling. But let me let Miss Grace explain, "I don't have to worry about being bullied, by the same kids, year after year. I can be DIFFERENT, and it's ok- I can be ME, quirky and smart, with not great printing. I'm not pressured to do things I don't want to. I can help people and not feel like someone will make fun of me."

Yeah- THAT school socialization is no longer there! And the general populace thinks THAT forced socialization is good? SIGH...

Miss Grace says she likes "being able to spend time with my friends, who are also homeschoolers, getting to know kids from different areas (via our homeschool group which covers 2 counties), meeting new people on all our field trips, and being able to spend more time with my dance friends, as we don't have to hurry back from competitions, to be at school the next day! Plus I get to spend more time with my Mom and my grandparents- that's why we're really close!"

Now I don't know about you, but those are some socialization skills that will stand her in good stead when she's facing college interviews and as an adult, when applying for jobs! Not to mention the type of person she will become- full of empathy and compassion. 

miss grace at beach

So there you have it- the 5 Favorite Freedoms of Homeschool we love.

So if you're thinking of homeschooling, think about these 5 freedoms, and it might make you rethink homeschooling!

Check out what our fellow bloggers think are their Friday Favorites, especially these friends below:

Jennifer @ Dear Homeschooler 
Kellyann @ Walking Home ... 
Kimberley @ Vintage Blue Suitcase 





back to school button

Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail