Book Review: Left for Dead by Caroline Mitchell

Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this ebook from Amazon Publishing UK, via netgalley, free of charge, for review purposes on this blog. No compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it, all opinions are my own


A victim on display. A detective on the rails.

left for dead cover

Synopsis
Shopping with her sister, DI Amy Winter is admiring a Valentine’s Day window display of a perfect bride encrusted in diamonds and resplendent in lace—until she notices blood oozing from the mannequin’s mouth.
This is no stunt. A post-mortem reveals the victim was left to die on her macabre throne for all to see. When a second victim is found, it emerges that both women were ‘Sugar Babes’ arranging dates with older men online—and Amy finds herself hunting an accomplished psychopath.
As she tracks down the killer, Amy’s instincts go into overdrive when the charismatic head of the agency behind the display makes no attempt to hide his fascination with her serial-killer parents. What exactly does he want from Amy? With her own world in freefall as her biological mother, Lillian Grimes, appeals her conviction, Amy pushes the boundaries of police procedure when a third ‘Sugar Babe’ disappears…Is she as much at risk as the killer’s victims?
Review:

This is book 3 of the series, after Truth and Lies and The Secret Child, and the first I had read of the series. Sometimes I realize I have read so many British police procedurals, that I THINK I have started a series, when actually I haven't, it's just similar. That was the case with this book! But now, I want to go back and read the previous 2 books! Yeah, more books for the reading list!

DI Winter is an interesting character- the child of not 1 but 2 serial killers, she now faces the unlikely thought of her motehr being freed. She's adamant it is a con her mother is playing on the public, but her sisters think otherwise. Meanwhile she gets drawn into a case that is starting to seem eerily familiar, to that of her parents' crimes. It's the perfect set up for a writer, and reader, and you know as the moves along it will turn into a race against time/roller coaster, and it does! This page turner will ahve you rethinking just how well we know those around us. Definitely add this series to your Summer read-a-thon!



About the Author:

Caroline originates from Ireland and now lives with her family in a village on the coast of Essex. A former police detective, she has worked in CID and specialised in roles dealing with vulnerable victims, high-risk victims of domestic abuse, and serious sexual offences. She now writes full time.

Caroline writes psychological and crime thrillers. The most recent, Silent Victim reached No.1 in the Amazon charts in the UK, USA and Australia and was the winner of the Reader's Favourite Awards in the psychological thriller category. She is a New York Times, USA Today, Washington Post and International #1 Bestselling Author, as well as having been shortlisted by the International Thriller Awards for best ebook 2017, and the Killer Nashville Best Police Procedural 2018. 

You can follow Caroline on Twitter at @Caroline_Writes and www.Facebook.com/CMitchellAuthor or www.caroline-writes.com. Also sign up to join her Reader's Club for access to news, updates and exclusive competitions and giveaways. 


Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail