History Corner: Great British Architecture: Remarkable Stories of Our History and Heritage Daniel Wilson, Chris Henton (Illustrated by)

 Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this ebook, free of charge, from the Quatro Group, via #edeleeissolus, for review purposes on this blog. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it. All opinions are my own


Discover the extraordinary stories written into Britain’s historic buildings—and the people, power, and ideas that shaped them.  

 

Great British Architecture cover

Synopsis
:

From time-worn ruins and cathedrals to tucked-away country churches and elegant stately homes, Britain is full of genuinely incredible—but often surprisingly overlooked—historic buildings. 

Laden with character, style, and deep layers of heritage, these structures each represent something unique: they are the bearers of natural history, examples of the country's curious mish mash of architectural styles, and monuments to civic pride, power and creativity.  

Each of their stones tells a remarkable story, including:  

St Magnus’ Cathedral in Orkney, glowing with red sandstone and blending Norwegian, Norman, and Gothic influences. 

East Anglia and Scotland’s medieval round‑tower churches, ingenious responses to local geology and cultural exchange. 

Layer Marney Tower, a Tudor display of status showcasing rare Italian terracotta ornament. 

St Edmundsbury Cathedral, where a 21st‑century Gothic tower carries medieval craft traditions into the modern age. 

Great British Architecture brings together the stories behind 86 great buildings from across the nation and, with illustrations throughout, celebrates their beauty, charm, and significance. 

 


Review:

Okay full confession, since covid I have been attached, amazed by, my daughter might say by LOL, the canal boats of England. Yes at one point I actually considered that as a retirement option, so I might have gotten a little bit more involved into it than most Americans who just watch occasionally. The channels that I tend to follow our ones that showcase history along their travels, either by going to locations off the canal or talking about them. What is the appeal? Seeing the places that my ancestors may have seen before they came to America, where they lived and what influence them. You see that's the part that when you start doing your genealogy you realize that you're missing, the visual references. By watching these shows I have seen places come alive from my genealogy chart. 

Someone had suggested Daniel's channel as it seemed to follow many of the same places that I was talking about. And then when I did go search it out I realized that many of the places I was seeing on the YouTube channels he also had visited and had more information for more visuals though. I love it when two parts of your life come together LOL. This book is an extension of those videos that he has made, with some more information and some charming drawings by Chris. There is so much history we are unaware of because we are so American centric. If you think back to your world history days you'll remember we didn't get a huge amount of English History i e when you think of Norwegian buildings in England you just assume that they're Viking but they actually may not be. That's the type of things that Daniel looks into you and discusses in this book. If you're a lover of History, looking to flesh out your genealogy references, or just looking for a unique book for the Anglophile on your gift list this holiday season, this is the book for you!


About the Author/Illustrator

Daniel Wilson has become huge across social media by exploring Britain’s incredible built heritage. Under @greatbritisharchitecture he posts the stories he uncovers about the nation’s incredible array of historical buildings for a fast-growing audience.

Chris Henton is an illustrator from Edinburgh. Having studied History at university, his work is inspired by a deep fascination with traditional architecture. Combining a love of travel and drawing, he explores the character and detail of buildings through intricate, hand-crafted illustrations. His approach reflects a passion for uncovering the rich heritage and stories embedded in architecture, using pencil, pen and watercolour to bring them to life on the page.





Comments

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail