Book Review/ Giveaway: Ms. Julia Renews Her Vows by Ann Ross

** this giveaway is closed ***

Well as you are all aware, I've been down with a really nasty stomach virus! As such, I did not get a chance to finish my last thoughts on this review and hit post, so the giveaway that was slated for June 21st, never posted. BUT, I figure late gifts are ALWAYS welcome right?

So I figure we'll just sneak in one last Birthday Bash giveaway! Shhhh, our secret!!




BTHM birthday button
 
Synopsis:  Southern flower Miss Julia re-materializes in her droll 11th adventure, and this time out, the busybody is as busy as ever: she wraps up some business from Miss Julia Delivers the Goods by making sure thrice married rogue Mr. Pickens settles down with Hazel Marie, who is pregnant with their twins. She also contends with the return of rival doyenne Francie Pitts and puts on her detective hat to clear the name of her friend and hired help, Etta Mae Wiggins, who's accused of burglary and assaulting Francie. Meanwhile, Sam, Julia's long-suffering husband, has the audacity to suggest marriage counseling. Worse, the shrink is a man from her past—Dr. Fred Fowler, a Christian psychologist with thirty years of experience in rekindling the flame of Christ-like love in limping marriages. Can feigning the flu save her from a confrontation and, gasp, rekindle their passion? And does Francie have designs on Sam? Ross answers these questions in trademark tart fashion. Series fans will have a ball, but those unfamiliar should definitely start with an earlier volume.


About the Author: Ann is the mother of two daughters and one son, and the grandmother of four grandsons (including twin boys) and two granddaughters, both of whom are her namesakes. When her children were in college, she decided to complete her own education, enrolling in the University of North Carolina at Asheville where she earned a Bachelor's degree in Literature. Reluctant to return to an empty nest, she continued her education by enrolling in the English Department of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she earned both the Master's and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Afterwards, she taught Literature and the Humanities at the University of North Carolina at Asheville. Ann's writing career began in the early eighties when two mysteries were published as original paperbacks: THE MURDER CURE and THE MURDER STROKE. A few years later, her first hardcover book was published: THE PILGRIMAGE, an adventure story set in the nineteenth century. All three books are now out of print, but occasionally a used copy of THE PILGRIMAGE appears on Amazon.com for sale. The publication of the first Miss Julia book, MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND in 1999, set Ann on a full-time writing career.

Inspiration for the escapades of Ann's much-loved character, Miss Julia, comes in all manner of ways -- a chance remark by a friend or family member, an incident she happens to see, in a dream, or by being reminded of something in her past experiences. It is always deeply satisfying to her when scenes in the book she is working on suddenly seem to fit together to make a good story. She does not outline or make detailed plans before starting a story. She does, however, have a general plot in mind before beginning to write, but this usually entails only the conflict and the final resolution, with few ideas of how they will be worked out. So, with just the beginning and the end of a book decided on, Ann relies on the characters themselves to fill in the middle with first one subplot after another. This, she says, is the joy of writing -- when a character suddenly does or says something unexpectedly, leading her to funny and surprising 'mini-scenes' that seem to delight readers. Ann was once asked by an interviewer how she knew when something she'd written was good. She replied, "I know it's good when I fall off my chair laughing." From that response, we can be sure that she enjoys writing about her characters as much as we enjoy reading about them.

Review: I loved this book! It could be because after the 3rd 'Bless her heart", I knew I had to give it away during this blog bash (I stopped counting at 15 of 'em, bless her hearts), or because EVERYTHING in the book is SO small town Southern that your teeth hurt from laughing so hard, or that the characters will remind you of real people in your town, or just because it's pure fun! Anybody that is Southern Baptist, or very familiar with them, will wonder if Mrs Ross attended their services and took notes for sure! The book reads so quickly- the dialogue just humms along! Ms. Julia VERY much reminded me of Julia Sugarbaker from Designing Women , brought to 2010 (just with a new cast of sidekicks, and old ones in new characters!) . A very fine update indeed Mrs. Ross! The book is a very quick read and perfect for reading on vacation or by the pool.

The Giveaway
ONE Winners will win a this review copy of Miss Julie Renews Her Vows!

ENTRIES:

Make sure I have an email address, with your comment, so I can contact you, if you win!   
If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!

USA/ Canada
 
3 day winner's rule : Winner has 3 days to acknowledge they won prize,
and confirm address, if no contact, then new winner will be picked in their place. 
 
Please post each entry separately, i.e. 2 posts for Subscribing:
  1. Follow this blog on Google Friend (1 entry) 
  2. Follow me on Twitter (1 entry)
  3. Subscribe to the blog (2 entries) 
  4. Signed up for the New Year, New Self Program on this Blog  on the Original Post  (2 entries)                                               
  5. Stumble this post/giveaway (2 entries)
  6. Have the “New Year, New Self Program” Button on your blog (2 entries) 
  7. Have / Put the "Bless Their Hearts Mom Blog" Button on your blog or website (2 entries)
  8. Tweet about this contest (3 entries), please include @BTHM1 in your tweet!  (this can be done DAILY for 3 entries PER day)  
  9. Have / Put the "Bless Their Hearts Mom Blog Birthday" Button on your blog or website (2 entries) 
  10. Blog about this giveaway (4 entries)
BONUS:   Enter this post link in a Giveaway Linky on another site (5 entries)** MUST provide link to the Giveaway Linky!

Contest will end on July 10th, at midnight. Winner will be picked by Random Number (random.org) on July 11th, and emailed. As soon as winner's info is received, I will l mail them their book during the next week.




Disclosure / Disclaimer:  I received this book, free of charge, for review purposes from Harper Collins. No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. I was not told how to review it either.





Comments

  1. I follow the blog on Google connest.


    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email subscriber 1
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Email subscriber 2
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  4. please count me in...thanks :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. email subscriber :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an e-mail subscriber. +1. thanks. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an e-mail subscriber. +2. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please include me.

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. GFC follower

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow this blog on google friend
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow on twitter @bangersis
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I subscribe to this blog
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I subscribe to this blog
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tweeted http://twitter.com/bangersis/status/17090878761
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tweeted http://twitter.com/bangersis/status/17090878761
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tweeted http://twitter.com/bangersis/status/17090878761
    bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. google friend connect

    laurapita4 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. email #1

    laurapita (at) live (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I'd love to be included in this book giveaway. Thanks
    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a subscriber
    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  21. google follower
    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  22. subscriber
    entry #2
    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  23. e-mail subscriber #1

    tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. No need to enter me, darling. I'm dropping in to say thanks for the e-mail. I've got this -- and your others, as well -- posted over at Win a Book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need to get busy and read this series!

    And don't miss the Book Review Blog Carnival today at Colloquium!

    Thanks,

    JHS
    Colloquium

    jhsmail at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd really like to read this book. Please enter me. Thanks!

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  28. Follow on GFC.

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  29. Subscribe via email #1

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  30. Subscribe via email #2

    ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail