** this giveaway is closed ***
Synopsis: Abandoned by her father and neglected by her self-centered, unstable mother, Sheila McGee cannot wait to escape the drudgery of her mill village life in Northern Ireland. Her classic Irish beauty helps her win the 1941 Linen Queen competition, and the prize money that goes with it finally gives her the opportunity she's been dreaming of. But Sheila does not count on the impact of the Belfast blitz which brings World War II to her doorstep. Now even her good looks are useless in the face of travel restrictions, and her earlier resolve is eroded by her ma's fear of being left alone.
When American troops set up base in her village, some see them as occupiers but Sheila sees them as saviors--one of them may be her ticket out. Despite objections from her childhood friend, Gavin O'Rourke, she sets her sights on an attractive Jewish-American army officer named Joel Solomon, but her plans are interrupted by the arrival of a street-wise young evacuee from Belfast. Frustrated, Sheila fights to hold on to her dream but slowly her priorities change as the people of Northern Ireland put old divisions aside and bond together in a common purpose to fight the Germans. Sheila's affection for Joel grows as she and Gavin are driven farther apart. As the war moves steadily closer to those she has grown to love, Sheila confronts more abandonment and loss, and finds true strength, compassion, and a meaning for life outside of herself.
About the Author: Born and raised by her grandmother in Newry, Northern Ireland, at the age of eight she was brought to England to live with her parents. At age twenty years old she set off for America with $200 in her pocket, landing in New York, then Omaha, Nebraska. After two years working for the Job Corps, She moved to Boston and received a foreign student scholarship from Suffolk University. She succumbed to pressure to switch her major from English to Business, and thus abandoned her dream ofbecoming a writer - an abandonment that was to last over30 years.
She made a full-time commitment to her dream after the voice in her head became so insistent she could no longer ignore the urge to write a book! Thus after years of struggle and doubt and fear, she took the leap of faith, quit her job, and devoted herself full time to writing her first novel, "The Yellow House, this is her Second Book!
Review: As you know, I LOVED The Yellow House! I think I love this book even more! There was SO much in this book about Ireland during the War (WWII), that it gave you a different perspective on 'the American invasion'. Every woman will be able to relate to Sheila's desire to make something better for her life than factory work. The author wasted years by not writing- her characters are true to life and make you want to read the whole book in one sitting (ok, I did it in two!). the twists and turns in the plot are unexpected and make the journey of the characters even more realistic! If you can finish one of her books without a profound desire to travel to Ireland, I would be shocked! But thi sbook on your MUST read list!
Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this book for review purposes, free of charge, from
Happy St Patrick's Day!
I have the PERFECT giveaway for today- not one but TWO books of Irish Fiction for the winner! WOO HOO!
Synopsis: Abandoned by her father and neglected by her self-centered, unstable mother, Sheila McGee cannot wait to escape the drudgery of her mill village life in Northern Ireland. Her classic Irish beauty helps her win the 1941 Linen Queen competition, and the prize money that goes with it finally gives her the opportunity she's been dreaming of. But Sheila does not count on the impact of the Belfast blitz which brings World War II to her doorstep. Now even her good looks are useless in the face of travel restrictions, and her earlier resolve is eroded by her ma's fear of being left alone.
When American troops set up base in her village, some see them as occupiers but Sheila sees them as saviors--one of them may be her ticket out. Despite objections from her childhood friend, Gavin O'Rourke, she sets her sights on an attractive Jewish-American army officer named Joel Solomon, but her plans are interrupted by the arrival of a street-wise young evacuee from Belfast. Frustrated, Sheila fights to hold on to her dream but slowly her priorities change as the people of Northern Ireland put old divisions aside and bond together in a common purpose to fight the Germans. Sheila's affection for Joel grows as she and Gavin are driven farther apart. As the war moves steadily closer to those she has grown to love, Sheila confronts more abandonment and loss, and finds true strength, compassion, and a meaning for life outside of herself.
About the Author: Born and raised by her grandmother in Newry, Northern Ireland, at the age of eight she was brought to England to live with her parents. At age twenty years old she set off for America with $200 in her pocket, landing in New York, then Omaha, Nebraska. After two years working for the Job Corps, She moved to Boston and received a foreign student scholarship from Suffolk University. She succumbed to pressure to switch her major from English to Business, and thus abandoned her dream ofbecoming a writer - an abandonment that was to last over30 years.
She made a full-time commitment to her dream after the voice in her head became so insistent she could no longer ignore the urge to write a book! Thus after years of struggle and doubt and fear, she took the leap of faith, quit her job, and devoted herself full time to writing her first novel, "The Yellow House, this is her Second Book!
Review: As you know, I LOVED The Yellow House! I think I love this book even more! There was SO much in this book about Ireland during the War (WWII), that it gave you a different perspective on 'the American invasion'. Every woman will be able to relate to Sheila's desire to make something better for her life than factory work. The author wasted years by not writing- her characters are true to life and make you want to read the whole book in one sitting (ok, I did it in two!). the twists and turns in the plot are unexpected and make the journey of the characters even more realistic! If you can finish one of her books without a profound desire to travel to Ireland, I would be shocked! But thi sbook on your MUST read list!
Giveaway:
Winner will receive their own copies of
the Linen Queen AND the Yellow House!
the Linen Queen AND the Yellow House!
Entries:
Make sure I have an email address, with your comment,
so I can contact you,if you win!
If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!
USA /Canada
(NO PO Boxes, company rules)
If I don't have a way to contact you, you will forfeit your win!
USA /Canada
(NO PO Boxes, company rules)
3 day winner's rule : Winner has 3 days to acknowledge they won prize,
and confirm address, if no contact, then new winner will be picked in their place.
Please post each entry separately, i.e. 2 comments for Subscribing:
Some entries have been combined on one line, check carefully!
- Follow this blog on Google Friend Connect (1 entry)
- Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Networked Blogs (1 entry for EACH)
- Vote for us at Picket Fence Blogs (button on right sidebar) or at the Say Cutie Shutterfly contest!(1 entry, each)
- Fun entry! Go to our Blog Rolls and select a blog that starts with the same letter as your email. let me know the title of one of their posts on their main page! (2 entries)
- Subscribe to this blog (2 entries)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter (please use BTHM1 in your Tweet!) -you can use the new SHARE and RETWEET buttons below this post!) (2 entries EACH, per DAY)
- Stumble this post/giveaway (2 entries) (use the new SHARE button below!)
- Have / Put the "Bless Their Hearts Mom Blog" Button on your blog or website (3 entries)
- Enter this post link in a Giveaway Linky on another site (4 entries)** MUST provide link to the Giveaway Linky!
- Told me your favorite PINK memory on THIS post (can NOT be put on this post) (4 entries)
- Have the Pretty in Pink Button (on right top sidebar) on your blog (4 entries)
- Blog about this giveaway (5 entries)
Contest will end on March 31st, at midnight. Winner will be picked by Random Number (random.org) on April 1st, and emailed. As soon as winners' info is received, I will email their info to Hachette Book Group who will mail the books to the winner directly!
Disclosure / Disclaimer: I received this book for review purposes, free of charge, from
Hachette Book Group ! No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about it.


Sounds great. Count me in please.
ReplyDeleteI am a GFC follower
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
GFC follower
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
I follow on Networked Blogs
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
I follow on FB
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
Email subscriber 1
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
Email subscriber 2
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
Voted for you on Picket Fences
ReplyDeletelittleone AT shaw DOT ca
I am an Email subscriber
ReplyDelete1
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
I am an Email subscriber
ReplyDelete2
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
Leslie Loves Veggies has a giveaway for Dove Shea Butter Cream Oil Body Wash with Nutrium Moisture
ReplyDelete1
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
Leslie Loves Veggies has a giveaway for Dove Shea Butter Cream Oil Body Wash with Nutrium Moisture
ReplyDelete2
lkish77123 at gmail dot com
I would love this book. I am an e-mail subscriber.+1. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI am an e-mail subscriber. +2. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteEmail subscriber #1. Thanks
ReplyDeletedianad8008 AT gmail DOT com
Email subscriber #2. Thanks
ReplyDeletedianad8008 AT gmail DOT com
Both books sound wonderful. Thanks for the info and chance to win!
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
I am a GFC follower.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
I voted for you today over at Picket Fences blog.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
Over at Just Another New Blog, the most recent post is about PJ Greeting's pet stamp that will use a picture of your own pet. #1.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
Over at Just Another New Blog, the most recent post is about PJ Greeting's pet stamp that will use a picture of your own pet. #2.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
I am an email subscriber. #1.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
I am an email subscriber. #2.
ReplyDeleteJHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com
subscribe here via email -1
ReplyDeleteabrennan09@hotmail.com
subscribe here via email -2
ReplyDeleteabrennan09@hotmail.com
voted on the fence
ReplyDeleteabrennan09@hotmail.com
subscribe #1
ReplyDeletetiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
subscribe #2
ReplyDeletetiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
email subscriber 1
ReplyDeletecoreybrennan26@hotmail.com
email subscriber 2
ReplyDeletecoreybrennan26@hotmail.com
voted on the fence
ReplyDeletecoreybrennan26@hotmail.com
I am a follower
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
Voted for you At The Fence
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
Email subscriber 2
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
pink memory 1
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
pink memory 2
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
pink memory 3
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
pink memory 4
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
Piece of Me blog - Halo Sleep Sack review & giveaway
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
Piece of Me blog - Halo Sleep Sack review & giveaway
ReplyDeletepbclark(at)netins(dot)net
I follow on GFC
ReplyDeletemittens0831 at aol dot com
I follow on Twitter-CarolAnnM
ReplyDeletemittens0831 at aol dot com
I voted at Picket Fence Blogs
ReplyDeletemittens0831 at aol dot com
Mom's Best Bets
ReplyDeleteMom's Best Bets Monday
mittens0831 at aol dot com
Mom's Best Bets
ReplyDeleteMom's Best Bets Monday
mittens0831 at aol dot com
I subscribe to this blog.
ReplyDeletemittens0831 at aol dot com
I subscribe to this blog.
ReplyDeletemittens0831 at aol dot com
GFC follower
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
following you on twitter @Alliegal101
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
1 a post on Gourmet mom is fluffy bunny cakes
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
2 a post on Gourmet mom is fluffy bunny cakes
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
1 tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/Alliegal101/status/52567228754821120
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
2 tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/Alliegal101/status/52567228754821120
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
1 told you my favorite PINK memory
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
2 told you my favorite PINK memory
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
3 told you my favorite PINK memory
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
4 told you my favorite PINK memory
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
1 I Have the Pretty in Pink Button (left side)
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
2 I Have the Pretty in Pink Button (left side)
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
3 I Have the Pretty in Pink Button (left side)
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
4 I Have the Pretty in Pink Button (left side)
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
1 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/03/win-linen-queen-and-yellow-house.html
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
2 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/03/win-linen-queen-and-yellow-house.html
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
3 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/03/win-linen-queen-and-yellow-house.html
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
4 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/03/win-linen-queen-and-yellow-house.html
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
5 blogged: http://sweetsugaryshenanigans.blogspot.com/2011/03/win-linen-queen-and-yellow-house.html
ReplyDeletegirl23rocks at hotmail dot com
Both books sound really good, and I'd love to read them. Please enter me. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net
Subscribe by email #1.
ReplyDeleteayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net
I would love to win these books! Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
GFC Follower
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
Twitter Follower
ReplyDelete@NancyeDavis
nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
I like you on Facebook
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
I follow you on Networked Blogs
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
I voted for you on Picket Fences
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
Tweet! Tweet!
ReplyDelete@NancyeDavis
http://twitter.com/#!/NancyeDavis/status/53679730892877824
nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
#1
Tweet! Tweet!
ReplyDelete@NancyeDavis
http://twitter.com/#!/NancyeDavis/status/53679730892877824
nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
#2
email subscriber
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
#1
email subscriber
ReplyDeletenancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
#2