Product Review/ Sewing Pattern Review: Paradiso Designs Carry All Shoulder Bag


Last year I reviewed a pattern from Paradiso Designs for their Tiny Bag satchel bag, and their Market Bag pattern. This year Cheryl asked me to check out her new Carry All Shoulder Bag pattern!



About Cheryl: "Cheryl started doing custom design over 25 years ago, but has been drawing and designing since she was a small child. In the fall of 2007, Cheryl introduced her own independent pattern line. Two years ago Cheryl started teaching adults and children not only how to sew, but how to incorporate their own style wants and needs into their creations. As a teacher Cheryl loves helping her students learn to sew beyond what they thought they could do by helping them create her handbag patterns with their own vision. Visit Cheryl’s blog at paradisodesigns.blogspot.com "


carry all bag pattern 2
Cheryl's patterns are NOT hard. You need to read them through BEFORE you start, then read each section again, before you start on it, and it will be very simple! She lays them out in a very straightforward way. She tells you how to lay out your pattern on your fabric, and how to be most efficient on you cutting, to get the most out of your fabric. Her drawings are very easy to understand as well. Then she takes you through the pattern in LOGICAL steps, that are very easy to follow, with accompanying diagrams (see pix on right).


As you can see the Carry All bag is your basic bag for taking to the beach, on outings, to the market, or just for everyday use! It features a large outside pocket and inside pockets to sort your stuff. Cheryl sent me some gorgeous pleather crocodile fabric they had locally, as it is perfect for the bottom and the straps. I never did find it locally-proof that we just don't have great fabric stores down here anymore! Now Cheryl has some SUPER tutorials on her site that I recommend you look at BEFORE trying her patterns, as they are very applicable. Her sewing on pleather for example, was imperative to me, as I had never sewn on it before. It's like having Cheryl there to help you through the process! I ended up taking a tip from Mom as well, after the tape on my sewing machine foot did not work very well, and put a piece of thin tissue paper between pleather and sewing machine foot. Ta dah- instant success and it tore off the stitches very easy (hint: tear down one side, then go back and pull the other side free, for less caught paper).


saints carry all 2
I had intended on using a different toile type fabric, but then I realized I no longer had it, and then I remembered I had two old dresses of Kiddo's, that might just have enough fabric to make the bag, and be perfect for what I had in mind.  And surprise! I had JUST enough! Add in some internal liner fabric and the bag was coming together. Then a friend gave me a fleur de lis scarf in Saint's colors and I knew the bag had come together. I decided on having a small outer pocket versus one that went all the way across, and remembered I had a fleur de lis iron on that would be a perfect fit. It's like the bag just pulled itself together! I also decided against all the interior pockets and just added one, as I knew I would use my purse organizer and it would not fit with all the pockets from the pattern.



I LOVE the bag! It is perfect for taking to football games, as I can put my normal purse stuff in my purse organizer, put it in, and have room for extras like snacks, water, programs, and even a scarf and hat! PLUS, I love being able to whip the scarf out and put it on (best friend has a convertible!), yet it is decorative at the same time! I've used it a few times and every time I've been asked where did I get my bag? I was thrilled each time to be able to say, "oh I made it". It has held up well- Cheryl's bag constructions are right on!


This bag would be perfect for Christmas or birthday presents, as you could customize each one to the recipients tastes and preferences! Isn't that a great idea? I know I'd love a personalized bag!


I am probably going to make 1 or 2 of these for our spring bazaar at Kiddo's school, as they are just THAT easy to make! I had some stop and go's, but basically the bag took me 1 day in total, to make from start to finish. Now that I know how to sew on pleather, it would probably take me only half a day next time! I've found that frequently once you've made a pattern, you can reduce the time on the next time you make it by usually half! 


I really enjoy Cheryl's patterns and will be sharing a skirt for Kiddo from Cheryl's 3 Harlow kids skirt pattern soon! Check out her patterns and you'll want to start sewing too! She even has FREE patterns on her site and blog too!








Disclosure / Disclaimer:  I received these items, free of charge, for review purposes,  from Cheryl at Paradiso Designs! No other compensation, monetary or in kind, has been received or implied for this post. Nor was I told how to post about them

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I was kindly awarded the
    “One Lovely Blog” Award recently and instructed to
    pass it along to 15 newly discovered (by me) blogs.
    I hope that you will stop by and pick it up at my
    bloggin home;
    Life in the Second Half Century
    http://life2ndhalf.blogspot.com/
    Thank you for being a fascinating read!
    Smiles
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Follow and Share:

twitterfacebookbluesky appinstagrampinterestemail